1992 Marin Team Issue rescue - Finshed pics on page 8

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Being a sucker for a nice bike in need of love I couldn't resist buying this one as it wasn't too far to collect, I'm also missing the 1990 Team Marin I restored last year as it went to pastures new.

As it stood half an hour ago:

It has a couple of Mint Sauce stickers including this nice quote, both will stay :)

Re: 1992 Marin Team Issue rescue

As she stands now:

The stem is stuck so she's currently upside down soaking in penetrating fluid, fingers crossed. The stems got a nasty dent and the paints crap so I found this on eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Marin-Lite-MarinL ... nav=SEARCH

NOS, yummy :)

The forks will get a repaint and I'll replace the missing/ worn decals with ones from Gil_m if he can assist.

The rear wheel has been sourced in the US although it has an XT M732 hub and not XTR M900, minor detail and at least the rim is correct.

A nice XTR M900 chainset is also on the way, bike came with the left arm as a spare but the seller can't find the right, rings were apparently toast.

A pair of Ritchey dense foam WCS grips and a new chain plus some tan walls and possibly a flite, should finish her off nicely.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

brocklanders023":23osutf6 said:
Great stuff, and a bargain! I was interested myself but it was too far away. :facepalm:

Watching with interest. :cool:

Thanks mate, if anyone had responded to my post on the eBay related discussion I would have picked it up for them.

Invested quite a bit in a rear wheel, cranks, stem and other bits for this so hoping she'll turn out nice :)

The frame has signs of its 24 years but has come up nicely:

XTR bottom bracket was tight to remove but has gone back in being nice and smooth still after all this time. I was worried that a cheap one like the cranks had been installed :LOL:

After some degreasing and polishing, I love how XTR M900 comes up with some love:

XT pedals are a bit scuffed but I'll get some paint on the cages.

Looking good, one of my favorites bikes the Marin team issue 1992, it was on my top 10 bikes on sinnermans post a few weeks back.. glad you got it, you always seem to do a sterling job on your builds, can't wait to see the finished result Tim! :)

Cheshire1980":1deau58u said:
Looking good, one of my favorites bikes the Marin team issue 1992, it was on my top 10 bikes on sinnermans post a few weeks back.. glad you got it, you always seem to do a sterling job on your builds, can't wait to see the finished result Tim! :)

Thanks mate, she is coming along nicely and I agree they are a very attractive bike. Can't wait for the first ride.

I've decided on using IRC Geo Claw tyres so the front wheel is now sorted, bearings just cleaned and regreased so now super smooth :)

Just got to wait on parts to arrive which make take a while.

Rear wheel is an XT M732 on Araya RM-400 Pro, as its 7 speed I dug out a little used HG cassette and a nice NOS chain. Ritchey WCS grips just suit a Marin of this age so well I think.

1994 Marin Team Issue

I'm quite chuffed to find your thread is so recent. Sixteen years ago a Marin Team Issue I had built up to race was stolen from my garden shed. I was crushed. Yesterday I found a 1994 for sale with full XTR M900 components less hubs/wheels and I scooped it up in fair condition. I am going to strip it down, service the Manitou SXR front suspension, service all the XTR kit and reassemble with fresh cables and hopefully a pair of XTR M900 or other period wheels. The finish of the frame on my 1994 is scratched and chipped, it appears there may be a tinted clear coat over the brushed steel finish. Do you have any specifics about the factory finish for the Team Issue Tange Superlight series? Source for quality decals? Cheers in advance.

Back