Nipples: ?
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Kenda 26x2.125
Tubes: ?

Saddle:?
Seatpost: ?
Seatpost Binder: Kalloy

Weight: Off the scale!

Just picked up this beauty bought off eBay very cheap thanks to a tip-off on here. Very pleased! I'm a fan of Falcon road bikes so this is a real treat... Appears to be mostly original (bar the rear mech) and in pretty good nick. Will update with more info once I've eaten my dinner (it's midnight and I'm starving) but in the meantime be glad to hear any info on the K2.

Below are the pics I had to go on... no disappointment in the flesh I'm pleased to say!

27018870100_420ff7ed96_b.jpg

26687067224_42bb33b138_b.jpg

26687068894_c7c4cc02d5_b.jpg

Re:

Have had a bit of a closer look and it's barely been ridden. Very little wear on the rims, tyres look like new (apart from the expected cracking to the sidewall), original brake pads are unworn... I'm going to feel guilty riding this!

Not much in the way of rust either, despite the obvious surface stuff on the handlebars. So far nothing's siezed (in fact all the adjusters move very easily). I've pumped up the tyres (Woods valves!) and tightened up the very loose headset. Might take it for a ride around the block...

...Well, I rode it round the block and I love it. Perfect. Everything works, gears shift nice, brakes need adjusting but it's not bad at all... Most importantly though, it reminds me of the first time I got on a proper mountain bike (a Peugeot, it was). Smiles for miles.

Not going to be able to sleep with plans for this. But kind of tempted just to give it a quick service and ride it. I might not even replace the cables! We'll see...

Re:

now now - don't let impatience get the better of you ... do it thoroughly, and do it right!

Re:

I think I spotted this. Nice score. If I'd been closer I think I'd have pushed the button in fact. Hope you enjoy and let's have a few more photos!

Re: Re:

k-rod":37y12c76 said:
now now - don't let impatience get the better of you ... do it thoroughly, and do it right!

Hehe... that's not the issue. If I start stripping and cleaning it, I will do it thoroughly. But in the end it would mean replacing cables, tyres & tubes, probably removing reflectors etc... even resisiting the urge to "upgrade" anything, by the time I've finished it won't be as original as it is now. Right now I'm tickled that it's in such time-warp condition.

MatBH5":37y12c76 said:
I think I spotted this. Nice score. If I'd been closer I think I'd have pushed the button in fact. Hope you enjoy and let's have a few more photos!

Yep, thanks for that. More pics to follow!

Re:

Started cleaning, polishing, and removing some accessories. Crappy phone pics in tricky light but hopefully you get the idea - she's looking luvverley.

27276520536_9d86be0de4_b.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics but it's a great colour, slightly metallic/pearlescent orangey yellow. I love this bike!

27034704700_169596ba8c_b.jpg

Will ride it down to the workshop tomorrow and give it a good service.

Rode it to the workshop. On the way there the chain was scraping a bit through the rear mech so first job was to check alignment of the derailleur hanger. Was (almost) spot on. Gave it a tiny nudge in the right direction and refitted the mech - tiny bit better but I think perhaps the cage of the mech is slightly bent...or something. Planning on replacing it anyway with either a Z series or deerhead if I can find one as that's what the rest of the gear system is.

In doing that I noticed that the wheels aren't exactly light... rear with tyre and tube weighs in at 2.9 kg. So I'm thinking a wheel upgrade is in order. Was thinking about building some around some DX hubs I thought I had, but I can't find the front at the moment. Dropout spacing is 130mm so the rear one I have fits fine. Thinking about some lighter bars too, but I love the shape of the originals, so would have to be something pretty tasty.

After that did a bit more cleaning of the drivetrain and adjusted the brakes a bit. Checked the chain, it's got a few miles left in it. Also found a cap to replace the missing one on the left hand crank.

Attempted to adjust/tighten the loose headset but realised I need a 33mm spanner. Have just ordered one on eBay - you can't have too many tools... Also ordered a pair of adjusting screws for the (horizontal) dropouts as they are threaded for them. Will make wheel removal/refitting a bit easier, and it's a nice little detail.

Fitted a longer seatpost, was expecting 26.4 based on another thread on here, but I measured it as 26.6. Luckily had a brand new one in a drawer, a nice snug fit and now it fits me! Popped my old Brooks Team Pro on top. Sweet... Also tweaked the angle of the bars and brake levers. Very comfy on the way home, rides and handles brilliant for what it is.

Had a pint of milk to bring home, so Fitted a nice red alloy Bor Yueh bottle cage I found in the scrap pile. Couldn't resist the temptation to replace the rusty bolts with some nice stainless ones while I was at it... No longer a "timewarp" bike, but hopefully one that will get ridden...

Sorry another crappy phone picture in low light.

26732411244_e3e3556002_b.jpg

Nice.

That rear mech is probably quite original and was part of the touring group. It will shift much much better than Deerhead due to its slant parallelogram action.

If it were mine, I'd fit a better period chainset and swap out the axles for q/r which lightens things up a bit.

The rear wheel can be a pain to 'lighten' unless you can find top end freewheels of the day. Dont use the modern cheapy Shimano ones as their bearings are just a wee bit poo.

:facepalm:

Now the embarrassing bit - I have so much stuff available for this! I have period wheels, levers and the chainset... I was saving them for another build. But I cant! I must build what I have.

It looks like you have mostly AT-50 series components:

Shimano%201986%2021-filtered.jpg

Shimano%201986%2019-filtered.jpg

Back