1989 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue Frame/Fork

cmscycle

Dirt Disciple
I randomly acquired this today when a guy at work said he had it in his garage and didn't want it. I know it's in poor condition but given the frame has some unique quirks I might build it up to be my next seasons Enduro race bike. :)

Here is what I know about it:
-1989 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue
-20" frame size
-Made in Japan
-Tange Prestige tubing

Unique Features include:
-Triple triangle frame design
-Seatstay U-brake
-Tange lugged fork tips
-Double downtube bottle bosses
-Top tube underside fore/aft offset cable guides
-Braze on for the front derailleur roller on the seat tube is actually a road bike downtube shifter boss and is offset 45 degrees from the centreline of the frame
-Road bike style chain hanger brazed onto drive side seatstay

Once I've removed the seized BB and headset I will weigh the frame and fork. It's not light by any means, I can't see the main tubes being less than .9/.6.9 butting.

Some searching on the interweb came up with a couple of images, a catalog scan and a photo of an almost original bike. See below..

Even though it's not an overly nice looking frame, nor that desirable, it's an example of late 1980's MTB Japanese frame design and is different enough to be distinguishable, without decals, as a Shogun . This is despite the fact that on initial glance most people will probably think "GT".

Because of that I think I might restore the frame and build it up based loosely on the parts it would have had from original. I've got some M732 cantilevers, front & rear ders so that's a start...

Attachments

• Shogun Catalogue Pic.jpg
    Shogun Catalogue Pic.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 640
  • Shogun Original 1.jpg
    Shogun Original 1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 636
  • WP_20150722_15_52_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150722_15_52_49_Pro.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 632
  • WP_20150722_15_52_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150722_15_52_36_Pro.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 631
Re:

Nice find. If you ever come across a 92? Team Issue in Astrofuzz let me know. Best mate had one until stolen circa 95 in Chch.

Re:

Yes will do. There can't have been too many of those bikes around Chch at that time (or before or after for that matter).

Back