Help I'd'ing an early Fisher U-brake bike I've bought

masha

Kona Fan
Hi I bought the attached Gary Fisher which was imported in the late 80s when someone emigrated to the UK from the States. Its clearly had many replacement parts over the years, and a sort of Hammerite blue finish to keep the rust at bay. However, it still has a few mid-late '80s parts - such as some early Mavic rims, on what looks like Sachs hubs, a Shimano Deore U-brake, and early headset and stem, and some original Fisher decals on the seat tube.

Any idea what model this could be? looking at the signature frame features such as the lugs around the seat post quick release it does match other mid-late 80s Fishers. I would love to restore it to original trim and any library pictures and identifying features to pin the correct model name on it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 849
Re:

yes I'll get some more pics up at the weekend as I start stripping and cleaning up.

I believe it was blur originally as the original remaining decals still have blue paint underneath, its just been touched up in blue.

I'll compare it to the 88 you mention in the mean time. thanks

Re:

Or maybe an early Montare ? interesting stuff anyway :D
the HKEK frame weighs about 4.5lbs which seems pretty good for a 1988 steel frame .
look forward to seeing how it turns out .
cheers Paul

Re:

more pics attached.

It certainly could be either a late '80s HooKeeEHoo or Montare - would certainly benefit from a refurb - frame is as solid as the day it was made, (just cosmetically a bit worse for wear these days, a bit like its new owner)

Seat Tube appears to have an original-looking "True Temper" frame tube sticker on it, which should help to identify it, and I would say the frame tube is slightly ovalised at the BB on the seat tube. 'Fastback' seat stays and top lug give it away a bit, and appear to match late '80s steel Hisher's

Wheels are probably the original Mavic Oxygen rimmed - and still pretty true. It should make a good project. Once I'm sure which model it - I'll get it re painted/coated and order up the correct reproduction sticker set for it, and adorn it with some period Deore kit.

It seems the older I get, the older the bikes I like to restore - it comes to us all.

Thanks for checking out the pics and offering any ID into helping with the model ID
M

Attachments

• Fisher1.jpg
    Fisher1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 757
  • Fisher2.jpg
    Fisher2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 757
  • Fisher3.jpg
    Fisher3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 757
  • Fisher4.jpg
    Fisher4.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 757
Re:

Hi
Looks good , that True temper decal ,the ovalised seat tube , cable route are all the same as mine , although the stem is more Montare than the skyscraper job on mine :LOL:

Paul

Re:

Thanks Yes, it could be either I guess. Thanks for taking a look and confirming the frame material and features on your Hoo. What colour is yours (I love the Fisher, Black Red Yellow fade - its very late 80s Fisher.

Latest posts

Back