1991 "Wall Art" Zaskar

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evil Bay has lived up to its reputation once more. This frame appeared earlier this week with a low BIN, and came with forks, post, and bar. Surely worth a punt at £45 (inc. postage), right?

Pinged the seller a PM asking the usual re dents, cracks, chainsuck, etc. they got back, confirming all is true with the frame, and chainsuck had not compromised the frame. They also confirmed the serial making this a '91 Zaskar.

Frame arrived this morning, and on opening, the first thing that caught my eye was the missing rear hanger, filed and drilled dropouts. The amount of metal removed makes me very nervous over building this up to ride. May be fine as a road only shop bike, but I might just end up mounting this on the shed wall.

Chainsuck had also been filled in with some kind of filler. Gouged that out, and although the stay is still intact, there has been a fair amount of metal removed over the years.

This has been one 'punt' that didn't pay out!

Dropouts below.

15503252341_2901b9b911_c.jpg

15483251536_d229775ca1_c.jpg

15506423715_ea9472ed34_c.jpg

15319489889_d979c7abbc_c.jpg

Bullpup":1rlkb5bq said:
Why not open a dispute with ebay - not fit for purpose?

Good idea, eBay always sides with the buyer on things like this

I'm pretty sure this was being sold on here a short while ago with an accurate description of the condition. Looks like someone's been fed a bummer and thought they'd pass it onto you and make a few quid in the process

Sean

Total pain in the nut sack. I thought about dispute, but is it not true that you can only claim on purchase price (i.e. not P&P)? If so, then by the time I post it back I'd only be about £15 to the good. Barely worth it.

I'm still trying to work out why someone would file the dropouts so large though? And square. :? Any ideas?

I also thought I saw this with a discription saying it had no gear hanger on unless it was another one?

Get in touch with eBay all the same

Yep just read it again and it does say no hanger. Although nothing about butchered dropouts.

Still don't know why someone would want them so wide.

Re:

Bit of a bugger being ripped off. Hope you get some reconpence.

On a different point. On my first outing on my 2005 Klein I got the chain jammed between the stay and the rings. Now, in haste and the fact that I was racing and also in the snow on Dartmoor getting cold I 'pulled' the chain out also removing quite a bit of the stay. Took it to my LBS (a Specialized dealer) who fill the 'gauge' for me. I have ridden it frequently for the last nine years.

But on the odd occasion I have thought about selling it I have had a change of mind because either I feel it would be worthless or I could be putting someone else at risk.

Re: Re:

Chris D":se3124li said:
But on the odd occasion I have thought about selling it I have had a change of mind because either I feel it would be worthless or I could be putting someone else at risk.
The difference here is that you would be being open and honest. Someone would be buying in full knowledge of condition, and can make a considered decision over whether they buy, and for what purpose. Unfortunately, my seller felt that was too much bother.

Back