1992 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Blizz

Retro Guru
Here we go again :)
Yes, another Blizzard! I've had this one for a while and finally stripped it down to begin the restoration. I happened upon this bike last winter on a -25C day, and the deal was too good to pass up, so I bought it on the spot and rode a frigid 1/2hr across town to where I was parked...so I have fond memories of this bike already!! :LOL:

The frame and paint is in decent shape but it does have some deep scrapes down to the metal and some rust, so the 1st thing will be some tidying up and some paint touch ups. I think I'll keep the decals and just clean them up a bit.

The plan is to keep it a stock XT build with some Syncros parts. I was lucky to find this bike with all the original parts minus the saddle. Other than some major drivetrain wear and some crispy sidewalls on the Z-Max tires, most of the parts were in pretty good condition.
Here's some pics of the frame...I'll get some of the parts posted up here once I clean them up.

Attachments

• 92Blizz1.jpg
    92Blizz1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,402
  • 92Blizz2.jpg
    92Blizz2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,402
Looks good! You got the original Struts with it as well, good job! Many of them were disposed as they were replaced with suspension forks. Frame looks to be in good technical condition. Optically you should be able to bring it back to former glory without too much hassle. Looking forward to the build!

Re:

Nice! Paint looks like its excellent shape!

Were you lucky enough to get the Syncros noodle stem and Syncros seat post with it?

very cool that you got the original white Tange fork!!! :cool:

i prefer the alternate all white version for 92, but i can't complain much if i had this.

Re: Re:

shutter":idcfja4e said:
Nice! Paint looks like its excellent shape!

Were you lucky enough to get the Syncros noodle stem and Syncros seat post with it?
I got the Syncros stem and bar, but it came with a Ritchey seat post which I believe was stock. If I can find a Syncros 27.0 post from the same era I'll put one on. Otherwise, the black Ritchey is fine.

RockiMtn":idcfja4e said:
very cool that you got the original white Tange fork!!! :cool:

i prefer the alternate all white version for 92, but i can't complain much if i had this.
Ya, I'm pretty happy it came with the original Struts. I do like this black/white paint job, just because its kind of unique. But I do think the mint green decals look a bit odd on this bike.

I finally finished the paint touch-ups and wet sanding and gave the frame a nice polish. Other than a few scratched up up decals, the bike is looking shiny new again!

I did manage to find a old Syncros post for the bike, to go along with the stem and bar. Thanks Ted!
So far, I've just got the wheels (XT and Wolber AT18's) mounted along with the XT Thumbies, brake levers, and BB. My plan is to stick with the XT group for the rest of the build...nothing too exciting but I'm trying to keep most of the original parts on the bike.
Here it is so far:

Attachments

• 92Blizz5.jpg
    92Blizz5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 92Blizz4.jpg
    92Blizz4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,238
Re:

Looking very smart!
I'm not sure about the green decals either but at least the bike is not just two tone. Maybe get a saddle to match? It looks like Bianchi green so should be easy enough. Or maybe the same colour grips?
BTW , what is wet sanding ? Using wet and dry paper before clear coating it?

Mike

Back