Finding a Rear Hub replacement for an Exage 500LX FH-HG50

scarleton

Retro Newbie
I have a 1990 Moody Fox Courier Mega that has a 500LX FH-HG50 rear hub on it. I would like to have a new custom wheel built with a modern colored rim. I need some help in understanding the correct hub to get for this new wheel.

I found this web site that states the rear hubs of that generation are:

Shimano Freewheel Hub:
Deore XT FH-M732
Deore DX FH-M650
Deore LX FH-M550
Exage 500LX FH-HG50

Will either the Deore DX/XT work? It is my understanding that my 7-speed freewheel is narrower then all the current hubs at somewhere between 127mm and 130mm, I am not sure. But I saw a listing today that says my aws 130mm, 135mm. So all in all I am a bit confused and am seeking some insight from some experts.

Re:

I think any of those hubs you listed should work, afaik they were all 7 speed.

Can you use the 500LX hub you already have? Just de-lace it and have it 're-laced to the new rim.

I could reuse the existing, but I was hoping to upgrade quality a bit. Also I like the idea if having two sets of wheels.

Re:

130 or 135mm denotes the axel width...or more correctly the distance between the dropouts on the frame. The freehub size varies on the speed ..7spd being smaller than 8/9 speed setups. A DX one (M650) would be a good compromise between quality, price and availability.

Back