1994 Marin Rocky Ridge revamp

Binny74

Dirt Disciple
Just finished my Marin rebuild so thought I'd post a few pictures.
I've owned this bike since new and really can't believe I paid £1000 for it in 94 and neither could my then girlfriend! (now wife)
Its been very well used and abused and even completed a SAMS DH race in 97 lol

The LX mechs are original and still work perfectly but everything else has sadly been worn out or broken over the years so it no longer looks anything like it did in the first picture :)

1995 in his prime..

Must lose the white saddle I think.

Long may he live another 20 years! :eek:)

Re:

Looking at the fat downtube and the spec in the catalogue i reckon it's the same frame as the '93 Indian Fire Trail :cool: It's cleaned up well bud. do you still have the old purple bits?

Re:

Seat stays and Chain stays are not double butted like the 94 IFT......

Check the 94 catalogue and its right there in the specs....

Re:

After a brief chat with the wife she reminds me I paid £750 for the Rocky, She bought an IFT in 97 which cost a grand and that frame had a cnc'd joint at the BB to chainstays, looking at older IFT's the frame does look simular to the Rocky I must admit.

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":2owld5k5 said:
Looking at the fat downtube and the spec in the catalogue i reckon it's the same frame as the '93 Indian Fire Trail :cool: It's cleaned up well bud. do you still have the old purple bits?

No mate, I hated the purple tbh and remember polishing off the paint after a year!
It chipped very easily and looked awful in no time.

Re:

Can someone tell me please which hubs were used on the 94 Rocky Ridge?
I'm a little confused because the black LX group set suggests 8 speed parallax (M565 rear?) which were current in 1994, but the catalogue quotes 7 speed instead. :?:

slowburner":2pez2ep9 said:
I'm a little confused because the black LX group set suggests 8 speed parallax (M565 rear?) which were current in 1994, but the catalogue quotes 7 speed instead. :?:

The originals were LX 7 speed without doubt.

slowburner":3rtmlsyj said:

In 1994, there were 2 different LX groups - M560 and M563 Hyperdrive C, both 7sp, so there was both a non-Parallax 7sp freehub FH-M560 (same as 1993) and a Parallax 7 sp freehub, FH-M563. These were both black hubs. The 8sp Parallax freehub FH-M565 came in 1995.

The Rocky Ridge had the Hyperdrive-C (compact) group so would have come with the 7sp M563 Parallax hubs.

If you have a look at the catalogue scans on here, there were loads of different LX components listed in that year, e.g. there were 3 different STI model numbers ST-M560, M563 and M564; M563 had black and silver cranks etc etc.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... X.jpg.html
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... P.jpg.html
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Herstelle ... en.html#94

Cheers,
John

Back