1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus (First Post)

Jet Black

Dirt Disciple
Every once in a while I search the Internet for the term Rocky Mountain Cirrus and all of my top hits are from this site. As it turns out, this entire pre-1997 forum seems to be dedicated to MTBs of a day and age that I was at my most knowledgeable. Since growing up and having a family, my ride knowledge has dropped significantly, though my interest in riding is still high. That said, I figured it would be fun to break the ice with my 'retro ride' and maybe hang out here a bit and get some ideas on what to do with it, or in the future.

So I got this for a graduation gift in 1992 when I was 18. I modified parts of it as I rode more including a low rise stem, Race Face headset, RockShox Mag-20s (to replace the original RS-1s that were on it) and this year I swapped my old black 20 year old SPDs for a newer set... that's other than the new cassettes, chainrings and chains over 22 years of riding. I actually stopped riding it for about 8 years when I developed a small crack in the seat tube, but eventually I found a guy who could weld 7000 series aluminum and got it fixed up. I've been riding more and more in recent years.

Tyres are a little smoother than what I used to have (had a pair of Panaracer Smokes when I bought it, and then replaced the front with a Dart when they became available), but now I do much more light off-road (dirt, gravel and pavement) than I did in the early days so went with something that would be smoother on the pavement.

Biggest concern I have is the shifters. Already had to get one replaced, but luckily a guy had an old DeoreXT thumb shifter that plopped onto the XT set without issue. At some point I would like to replace the entire gruppo with something newer, but I worry that would be overly expensive. Guys at work seem to think I'm a sucker for riding an old bike, and I certainly do look at some of the newer designs longingly, but I just can't give up the fact that this is such a great ride!

Anyway, thanks for letting me introduce myself. Here is a photo of my pride and joy.

Attachments

• 10264190_10152464296766282_5490081481581405309_o.jpg
    10264190_10152464296766282_5490081481581405309_o.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 891
Welcome and excellent first post! Own a Cirrus from new since 1992 and no way i'd give it up! ;)

Welcome to the site. Great to see guys with bikes they've owned from new. Somedays I wish I'd kept some of my old rides, but then I never owned anything as nice as that BITD.

It's great to see a Cirrus well looked after...most of them online have a lot of oxidation and the decals worn off. Nice bike!

Re:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Going to have to do some research on the forums and learn how to keep this thing looking great. Not sure how many of the parts companies still exist so not sure how much I'll have to stray from the original to keep it up and running, but so far this has been a pretty decent riding season and she's holding out pretty well :)

I was considering upping the gears at some point but don't know if the frame would even be able to handle that... plus I really like my Wolber rims despite the black anodizing having warn off the sides.

Can't wait to dig into the forums more. Lots of great rides I've seen so far! Haven't seen a lot of Treks though... my buddy had a Trek 9000 back in the day which I wish I had grabbed the frame from him years ago. Not a fan of that style, but it was a neat design for the time.

Very nice bike! And nice to see someone else from the Prairies here.

As of right now, the top eight -->1997 rider's bikes are all Canadian...

Re:

Just stay in here and ignore them modern things. People here look longingly at the old bike just wishing they could get one to ride.

Some, ok most, end up with quite a few extra bikes.

Just change what needs changing.
You could get a modern XT drivetrain groupset for £300 if you must. But you don't need to it doesn't alter the bike much.

They are MAG21s not 20 by the way (1993 model if it come to servicing them). I should have had the MAG30s on originally for the 1992 bike.

Back