1995 Saracen Protrax

hoppy58

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi

Bought this bike off retrobike a couple of months ago - although dismantled, it was in pretty good nick and I have simply put it back together with new chain, grips, some old IRC Mythos tyres and a charge saddle I already had. Been out on it a couple of times now ..really pleased with how it handles - climbs really well and seems to soak up the trails very well.

I almost bought one of these new 20 years ago but went for an Orange C16r instead.. I think this handlles just aswell...these 90's saracens are such good quality bikes - full groupsets and lovely frames..very pleased with it

Attachments

• 022 (640x386).jpg
    022 (640x386).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,192
  • 023 (640x480).jpg
    023 (640x480).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 024 (454x640).jpg
    024 (454x640).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,151
Is it my eye, or is there so much exposed seat post that the frame and post itself are starting to bend with the leverage?

Edit - no doubt, just held a straight edge up to the screen and its deffo starting to bend. Frame failure ahoy.

Re:

I think its your eyes - or my photo - there's no bending to frame or post !

There's about 7" of seatpost exposed and its 1" above the min insert mark. Fit is spot on for me (5' 7") and a 15.5" frame

Last photo, holding the edge of a sheet of paper in line with the lower frame seat tube, and the upper part of the seat tube itself and the seat post definitely at out of line.

On an mtb with your hands horizontal on the bars, a seat position higher than 2" above the height of the grips is orthopaedically quite bad, and does your rotator cuffs no favours. It might feel good for now but it certainly doesn't fit you, and its damaging the frame (three of us have now eyeballed it with a straight edge and all agree it's bent to the rear).

Re:

Aha - just checked the seatpost with a straight edge and it is bent! well spotted. It looks a well used post that came with the bike (don't know if its the original) - I can't believe I've bent it that much on two 12 mile rides?! The frame though is spot on.

7" of exposed post doesn't seem that much to me and I've checked it against my other bikes which both have 8" of exposed post! Anyway it looks like a new seat post is on the shopping list - a 400mm post will fit well below the seat cluster so should ensure no damage to the frame

I acknowledge your comments re fit, but I've always preferred a lot of seatpost/low standover with no ill effects after 20 years of mtb ing.

Re:

Looks great and very clean :cool:

on the seat post never go by min insert mark as with your saracen (like kona's) you have an extended seat tube . I would make sure that your new post sits at least to the P or R of Protrax on you drive side seat tube, that way you will know it will be fine with no snapage. Oh and try not to use a shim as it will essentially do the same ;)

Latest posts

Back