Getting the Wheeler ready!

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Today I got the old Wheeler out of the garage, I want to use it for Battle on the Beach so thought I should see what work is required.

In general its not bad. I changed the tyres to some old Tioga 1.95s.
The rear wheel bearing has a little play and one of the canti brakes was a bit siezed so nothing a good service wont sort out.
The gear cables are nearly rusted through under the down tube, so at the same time I will change the shifters as I don't get on with them.
I want to change the saddle to a Turbo, put on some foam grips and she will be ready (hopefully)

Will update as work progresses.

Looking foward to updates. Wheeler bikes are underraded fun machines.
I just bought a new Turbo myself for a road bike. They are about 30€ and are available in black and white. A good choice.
What kind of shifters do you have in mind? The 095 XT STIs on my Wheeler do a superbe job.

Shifter wise, not quite sure, I already have some nos Sachs twist shifters which I might try out on it. I also have some shifters mounted on a stem bracket from another bike I broke, they look a bit weird mounted there but they suit me quite well because I don't change gear that often and save space on narrow bars.

Juice I have read through your 3900 build a few times now. Very nice bike you have there.
Mine of course is the cheap low end model, it still has a few nice little details and some decent parts etc. The type you sometimes only find when really looking or cleaning it.

A little progress today (but not too much)

Got the front brake freed off of the mounting boss and stripped all the crappy old cables off. Couldn't resist giving the frame and forks a bit of a polish up. Took the axles out to re grease the bearings while I was there adjusting them, they are not the smoothest and really could do with replacing but I wont be doing that just before a beach race!

I fitted the Sachs twist shifters and matching grips, I also have the yellow grip set but thought the black may be a bit easier on the eye!

Wheeler fitted Grip Shifts to all the 600/800/2000 Line in 1994. So i would say the Sachs twist shifters are the right choice of your two options. Your bike is from 1991 by the way.
Hopefully you can save and restore the brakes. They seem to be an upgrade to the original plastic-covered 200GS brakes.

When is the race on the beach?

Thanks for that, I have never really known what year it was.
The beach race is on the 15th March in Wales, entry sold out in just a few days! So was lucky to get in.

The brakes themselves are fine, just corrosion on the boss/stud. New bridge wires and cables and they should work quite well.

Just a quick update. I found a white Turbo saddle in suitably distressed condition and that is now fitted. Decided to change the stem as well, it is now an ITM Penta in white and it feels just about right.

Just the cables now and it is ready, but I might rethink the tyre choice and slightly upgrade the brake levers from 200GS.

Had an interesting parcel turn up today! Bib tights and jacket, proper Wheeler team kit!! To go with the jersey and shoes I already found. Bright is not the word, it may even make the bike look dull. Fluorescent pink and green everywhere with Wheeler script down legs and arms!

james1985":1p8comud said:
Had an interesting parcel turn up today! Bib tights and jacket, proper Wheeler team kit!! To go with the jersey and shoes I already found. Bright is not the word, it may even make the bike look dull. Fluorescent pink and green everywhere with Wheeler script down legs and arms!

Is it going to be a crime against fashion ? :shock:

Bryncrug72":9qyih70b said:
james1985":9qyih70b said:

Is it going to be a crime against fashion ? :shock:

Fashion Crime may be a bit of an understatement! :LOL:

Im going to wear it all for the race so photos may end up posted on here :facepalm:

Back