GT RTS team? 1994

zonoskar

Retro Guru
I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself real quick. The name is Dennis, 42 yo, work as a software engineer at ASML for the moment (the Netherlands). A few months ago, I purchased a GT RTS frame from ebay. I've been busy trying to acuire parts for it. I also had some old stuff lying around.

I've since built it to a sort of retro/modern frankenbike while I'm looking for more parts:

p5pb23950836.jpg

p5pb23950834.jpg

p5pb23950833.jpg

p5pb23950832.jpg

p5pb23950831.jpg

p5pb23950830.jpg

p5pb23950829.jpg

p5pb23950828.jpg

p5pb23950827.jpg

p5pb23950826.jpg

p5pb23950825.jpg

p5pb23950824.jpg

p5pb23950823.jpg

p5pb23950822.jpg

p5pb23950821.jpg

p5pb23950820.jpg

p5pb23950819.jpg

p5pb23950818.jpg

p5pb23950817.jpg

p5pb23950814.jpg

p5pb23950807.jpg

p5pb23950804.jpg

Looking for Syncros parts, but it is not easy :)

Last edited:
Nice that,and good work on the polishing! :cool:
Looks like it could be a 93/4 team or rts1 (flat end cap so a usa made frame)

What's the serial number? Should be under the b/b.

its awesome, i love it!

i am assuming its a 16"? they always look the best with all that slope they had on the top tube.

yes syncros stuff would be nice. alternatively, control tech would also be sweet...as mtbdave has on his RTS

Yes, it's a 16". It is slightly too small for me, but looking for a 120mm stem should make it fit. I used to have a Zaskar in 16" I'll look for the serial number in the evening. I remember it started with 93, so it was produced in 1993 I guess. Can the serial number reveal if it is an RTS 1 or team? The frame didn't come with decals, so I bought some generic ones (though original GT, no reproduction).

The serial won't tell you if it's a team or a rts1 am afraid,it's got a flat end cap same as the zaskar's (6061 alu) so made in the usa.
A 93 serial means its either a 93 model or sold in 94.

You can get the correct 6061 "handbuilt in the usa" decal for the seat tube from gill_m on this site,it should be the same as on my rts1 (mines older a 92 serial and a black painted chrome rear end with the roller for canti brake.)

Mines a 18" but I do think they look ace in the larger sizes,photos of mine are in this months botm (readers bikes section)
With a link to the build page.

I'll just add the current speclist too:

Frame: GT RTS team or 1 1994 with Noleen NR1 shock.
Fork: Pace RC35 MCXD
Headset: Original Tioga
Stem: Ritchey WCS
Handlebar: Specialized 52cm (way to narrow)
Grips: Original GT
Barends: none so far

Brakes: Avid single digit V-brakes
Brake Pads: Don't know.
Brake Cables: Generic
Cantilever cable hangers: -
Brake Levers: Avid single digit

Shifters: Deore DX 9spd (new)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR 950
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR 950
Derailleur Cables: generic
Cassette: Shimano XT 9spd
Chain: Smihano XT
Cranks: Raceface Next SL
Crank Bolts: Raceface
Chainrings: Raceface
Chainring bolts: Raceface
Bottom Bracket: Raceface ISIS
Pedals: Shimano XT (new)

Hub Skewers: Hope (new)
Rims: Mavic crosmax
Hubs: Mavic crosmax
Nipples: Mavic crosmax
Spokes: Mavic crosmax
Tyres: Onza Canis 2.25" skinwall (new)
Tubes: Specialized (new)

Saddle: Selle flite
Seatpost: Easton EA50 (new)
Seatpost Binder: Hope (new)

Weight: 11.7 Kg

Intended changes:
- Seatpost
- Stem
- Handlebars
- Decals for the Pace fork + need to have someone look at one of the legs, there is a small crack in it :( Luckily, Pace does make/stock replacement parts.

Already in my possession, but not mounted yet:
- Onza H.O. brakes (still undecided and also need correct brake levers)
- Onza Chill Pills hangers (I have 3 sets, 2 blue and one green)
- Rockshox Mag 21, but needs respray (decals present)
- I have decals for the Next SL cranks in case of respray

Problems:
- The new tyres are too big (2.25") for the Pace fork. When it bottoms, the tyre touches the fork crown.
- The Noleen NR1 with piggyback I have is broken, it doesn't hold oil. So I'm running the RTS now with a loaner shock from the LBS (without the piggyback). I probably need to send the shock to Noleen for a rebuild. Plus side is that Noleen charges only $100 for a rebuild. Downside is that I'm in the Netherlands and Noleen in the USA.
- I cannot seem to get the top bushing removed. I tried whacking it with a hammer, but it won't budge. Seems to me it should be possible to remove it, right?

Maybe the elastomers need replacing,or changing for firmer ones?
I didn't change the bushings on mine as I didn't think you could get new ones.

As far as the serial is concerned 06 (June) 93 the other numbers are the number made to that point,and other side is the size.

Mine takes a 26.8 Seatpost yours the same or a 27?

They do appear from time to time on here and eBay of course.

The forks don't have elastomers, they were upgraded to eibach steel springs. But yes, the spring rate is not firm enough for me. But that doesn't change the fact that when the fork bottoms out, the tire touches the crown :)

Mine currently has a 26.8 seatpost, but it fits very loose and slips, so I think a 27.0 would be better. But I don't have one to try.

I tried bidding on vintage handlebars, but you have to have deep pockets to score one. I've seen Answer Hyperlite bars go for 55 euro. Jeepers!

i have a 2.1 on the front of one of my RTS's
it still buzzes the brace

Latest posts

Back