Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight - Arrived with pics

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After nearly 3 years of searching (and nearly 25 years of waiting) when I'd only seen 1 previously complete bike for sale (even though it was too big I still bid but not high and was easily beaten) finally the bike (well frame anyway) that got away appears to be coming to me, handbuilt, Lugged Steel, 18" and looking in good shape for and old un.
Back in 1989 I was 14 and riding a massively upgrade Raleigh Maverick GT and loved it when I went into a local cycle shop and saw this bike hung high on the wall with a price tag of about £400, I was wowed.
A few weeks later my Maverick was destroyed by a careless friend who rear ended a car, I was gutted. Not for long though as the insurance had accidental damage cover on it and agreed to pay out to the tune of £300. That added with my savings I knew I could have the bike I craved, the day came to go and purchase a new bike, my dad had decided that we wouldn't be going to that shop as he would be able to strike a better deal at another place so we went there and I ended up with a Holdsworth, It had a 22" frame that although sported a full Deore group was far too big and not what I really wanted.
This time I wasn't to be denied and a snipe at a stupid figure (nearly £20 over my winning bid) was placed and I woke up early today to find I had won the auction, I might get some sleep now, can't remember being so excited since I lost my virginity :LOL: and I've probably paid more than it's really worth but I haven't bought anything for a few months now, this may mean I may have to finish and sell on my Saracen but hey ho.
Anyway I'll post some pictures soon.
It's good reliving ones youth ;)

Carl.

Re: Unicorn Captured

Rob Atkin":7cnq0s6b said:
It doesn't matter what bike it is, I am well chuffed for you!

You might be interested when when you see what it is.

Here's a taster:

team531_zpseee199ad.jpg

Carl.

Re: Unicorn Captured - Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight

Seller tells me it should be with me Monday or Tuesday.

Carl.

Re: Unicorn Captured - Raleigh Team 531 Lightweight

Well it's arrived and I'm well happy with it. Good condition for an '89 frame, with only a bit of cable rub, minor chainsuck and a bit of patina. Critically no rust, no dents, clean BB threads and no sign of any accident damage. Came with original forks which I think are 531 with Gipimme dropouts, frame has Shimano dropouts. It's not going to get paint or decals as it is definitely good enough as it is, just some touchup on the chainstay to cover the chainsuck plus a good t-cut and polish.

Still in a dilemma on how to build it, catalogue spec which is XCD6000, but I have seen it as 21 Speed, not the more regular 18 and I have never seem XCD6000 21 speed for sale here only the 1990 XCD setup, so I am thinking I wont be too precious and build it with the XC Pro/Comp parts currently hanging on my Courier Comp and give it some upgrade parts that the Avanti got like lighter bars and a T-Bone type stem but I will get them powder coated yellow and blue so it look catalogue spec. I have the stem, need the bars, a 1" headset, a 26.8 Seatpost and a saddle (Thinking Turbo or Rolls).

Anyway here's the pics:

DSC03849_zps641daada.jpg

DSC03850_zpscde8e854.jpg

DSC03851_zpsbb1e8a0a.jpg

DSC03852_zps01479d9a.jpg

DSC03857_zps0ab4962d.jpg

DSC03855_zps74f0d1be.jpg

DSC03859_zps0640122e.jpg

DSC03856_zpsfa4e32d6.jpg

DSC03853_zps47f63c3a.jpg

Carl.

Back