1987 Muddy Fox Courier Resto.

Heavy

Retro Guru
This is my first restoration of an older bike and it feels like there are a million questions that I don't have answers to, but here goes.

I first joined Retrobike in 2006 to find out what the bike was that I'd just bought. I then stripped it to start the restoration. However, I never got around to it, and the bike spent the next five years in the loft of my garage.

recently I decided to sell the bike and listed it on the bay, but some of the information in my listing was innacurate so I pulled it and decided to do the resto myself.

Here is the bike after I picked it up in 2006. (I paid £23)

main.php

It turned out that the wheels, chainset and mechs are non-original, but they will do until I get hold of the correct items.

As you can see the bike is now in bits. I just need to remove the bottom bracket before the F&F are refinished in white. Plenty of polishing to do on the dia-compe brakes, the bars, stem and seatpost and the Suntour shifters.

main.php

The seat in in quite good condition and I will feed the leather. I also plan to speak to a local tinsmith/metalworker about making a band to run around the back of the saddle (similar to a Samn Marco Rolls), to cover the little damage there is.

I have started ordering parts. Onza Aggro tyres (cheers Epic), Richey grips, silver cable outers, Clark chunky canti blocks. and some VP pedals.

Once complete, i plan to use the bike for family stuff, - the schhol run, pulling tag-a-long etc, so it won't need to work hard.

Is everybody getting the IMAX experience with these pics?

If so, sorry and how to I sort it out?

yup they are a bit LARGE
nice looking bike tho
get on with it then you've had 5 years :LOL:

The funny thing is that despite the fact that I let it sit for 5 years, I'm now really impatient to get it finished.

Had three deliveries today - which was nice, pedals, cables and Tange sticker (from WD Pro - cheers)

Thanks Spesh.

I just picked up the frame from the powder coaters and I'm gutted. :cry:

The frame has areas which have a decidedly yellow hue. Particularly the top of the headtube, and the rear triangle.

I noticed it when I picked it up and asked the woman who said it was the lacquer. It didn't look too bad in the bad light indoors so I thought I could live with it. But I can't.

It looks to me like it has been baked for too long, causing some areas of the lacquer, to start burning.

I'm fuming as its an hour each way to take it back.

Anyone know what might have caused this, so I'm armed with a bit of knowledge when I ask them to do it again?

Well, they tried and failed twice to get a good finish on the old girl.

They refunded my money and gave me back my frame.

As you can see it has been blasted again, which is a nice opportunity to look at how the thing was put together 24 years ago.

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

Got a load of freshly polished bits to put on it, so need to sort a new powder coater.

Back