Dia Compe 986 Brakes

marathonman

Dirt Disciple
DIA COMPE 986
If anyone is looking for a set of original 986 brakes, They were made in three colours: Silver or Black or Ti Grey. They are made in Japan. (the 986 are handed)

You might notice they look similar to Ritchie Logic Canti's, this is because DIA COMPE made Ritchie brakes. The two brakes were made to go on the market at the same time. Many of the parts of the 986 are the SAME as on the 987. They both have Cold Forged arms.

The 986 can be used as a FRONT or REAR and weighs a mere 156.5 grams. On top of this you need to add the mounting bolts, washers, cable and carrier bringing the total weigh to a mere 184.3 grams.

They are very easy to set-up and adjust, with 1-2mm clearance if desired. On-ride fine adjustment can be made using the suntour XC pro levers (1-5mm). In 18 years never had any problems. All the cables are original. Brakes removed every year for lub/cleaning, adjustment.

A web-search will give you the service manual with an 'exploded diagram' of the workings & assembly of the 986 brakes. I have attached photo of the original brake-set-up manual (japanese) with the o/e part numbers to help you.

My TREK 8700 Pro as seen here is " FOR SALE " - IT iS iMMACULATE. Contact me at : meaphotography@btinternet.com. December 2013

Attachments

• trek8700pro_986.jpg
    trek8700pro_986.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,923
  • Trek_8700_Brake_Assembly.jpg
    Trek_8700_Brake_Assembly.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 2,886
  • Trek_8700_Brake_Assembly_2.jpg
    Trek_8700_Brake_Assembly_2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 2,884
They are excellent canti's. they also came in purple. The later versions had a hole in the arm to loose a bit more weight.

Back