Cannondale Beast of the East SM800 history and resto

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Welcome all...

This is my SM800 Beast of the East thread; it’s not going to be a bish bash bosh job, unfortunately this one is going to take a while before we see the end result, so bear with me.

This might sound a bit ‘odd’ but this is definitely a spiritual journey for me that began nearly 20 years ago (May 1991 to be exact) when I was lucky enough to get a black with orange flecks SM800. May 1991 marked the beginning of my relationship with various Dales’. I have owned in excess of ten over the years and currently possess five. Some have been a bit of a shower but some have been totally awe-inspiring (to me anyway). I appreciate they are not to everybody’s taste, but stick with the thread anyway as it features the same drive and passion in biking we all know.

I was 13 years old and in my third year of MTBing; my first mountain bike was a grey Peugeot: it was waaay too big for me and weighed best part of a metric ton but it was enough to kickstart me into the world of geared bikes and rocky trails. Then I had a Muddy Fox Courier Mega (’89 model in yellow) which I dearly loved to bits, with its Araya rims and 400LX groupset and paw-print graphics on the crossbar and saddle.. this bike was the one that helped confirm that mountain biking was a true passion, a way of life. It really was a case of long hot summers, pissing around with my mates, Space Invader crisps and Panda Pops, Local Motion tube protectors, events like the Mycycles Malvern Hill Classic at Eastnor and pining after Klein Attitudes. I had the Muddy Fox for two years then sold it to a pal using the funds to go towards my first Cannondale.

This was it..

SM800spec.jpg

It was bought from Evans in Croydon (I was living in Bristol at the time and the drive to pick it up seemed to take forever) and it cost a whopping £825. I remember it like it was yesterday.. the whole day. I remember going in to the shop, I remember the salesguy’s name (Carl), I remember driving into Central London after collecting it and taking it for a spin around Hyde Park before going home.. I remember my Dad letting me keep it in my bedroom and me sitting on the end of my bed gorping at it for hours. We’ve all been there; I guess it’s why we’re all here right? That passion and appreciation for quality two wheeled machines and that nostalgic element that takes us back to times nice.

DSCO_SN001.jpg

[Spanking!!]

Unfortunately my ownership lasted only two years... I then experienced an awful but common at the time tragedy (most of us have at some point), the tragedy of having your bike lifted by some cretinous sub-human filth. I was so so gutted. This was my dream bike; this was my Ferrari; this was the bike I had spend hours and hours riding over moor and playing field, from one mate’s house to another, Ashton Court in Bristol, Dartmoor in Devon, the Forest of Dean.. this bike wasn’t an object of metal and rubber, it was alive!! Ok the insurance company paid out and a new bike was obtained but the new bike wasn’t the old one, it was never quite the same :cry:

So... to the now..... :)

Well after searching for ages and ages I finally found this poor wreck of a SM800 that had clearly been neglected for a very like time. The components are pretty much all shot and the wheels are none-matching and at least 15-20% of the frame has bad aluminium corrosion and flaky paint. Used as a London town hack by a small and perfectly formed Mediterranean girl (honestly she was lovely) I managed to get her to part with it for a few quid and a “I’ve been after one of the these for ages” sob story. I didn’t care that the bike was two gear-changes away from a skip I had to have it.

So got it home a few months back; completely stripped it to its bare ass, poured about a gallon of water from its tubes and assessed the situation.

Assessment revealed the situation to be rather terrible! Thankfully there are no cracks, dings or dents but nevertheless it’s going to need the full works – pretty much new everything from top to bottom bracket (see what I did there), from grip to rim to QR skewers to.. well.. the lot. Getting the frame up to standard is going to be a fine task. I would rather keep as much of the original paint as possible so I’m going to concentrate on righting the wrong bits: smooth them off with a Dremel, treat, primer and repaint (luckily gloss black shouldn’t be too difficult to match but the orange blobs may prove more challenging).

DSC_4410.jpg

DSC_4412.jpg

DSC_4413.jpg

[showing how bad the paint and corrosion is]

DSC07625.jpg

[anyone had this where a crank or arm mysteriously welds itself to the bottom bracket spindal? After hours of swearing and vein-popping anger :x in the end I had to take it to a local garage and in exchange for a fiver allow them to go at it with a grinder.... new BB now required]

So that’s the story so far! Like I say it’s going to be a long-haul project and that’s mainly due to there not being enough hours in the day, other projects and also due to how long I anticipate it’s going to take to source components. Thanks for taking time to read gang; comments and ideas welcome.

Craig :D

What a nice story !

You need the pepperoni now :D

If you want to respray your frame, I'm working on the 1991 decals.
PM if you need ;)

24pouces":2zx0hcw5 said:
What a nice story !

You need the pepperoni now :D

If you want to respray your frame, I'm working on the 1991 decals.
PM if you need ;)

Luckily the Pep's survived..

DSC07627.jpg

Re decals: the main decals are almost intact but until I make a start on the resto I'm not sure what problems lurk so may take you up on your offer. The 3.0 Aluminium decal on the chainstay is nuked.. are you working on a full set?

Until we see proof of the girl, I don't think we can believe you. Either fess up and admit that you've owned that thing all this time and that the poor Beast was burried in the garden in your own backyard, or show us pics of this mysterious 'perfectly formed Mediterranean girl'. :p

Nice story.....remember those times in bed, when just happy staring at the new bike..:D

Looking forward for this project, nice colourscheme that is.

Cheers,
Martin

utahdog2003":25m7og00 said:
Until we see proof of the girl, I don't think we can believe you. Either fess up and admit that you've owned that thing all this time and that the poor Beast was burried in the garden in your own backyard, or show us pics of this mysterious 'perfectly formed Mediterranean girl'. :p

Ah well you see it was all part of my bargaining technique to acquire the bike in the first place..... it was the promise I made to her NOT to take pictures that eventually sealed the deal :twisted:

Save yourself a load of hassle and just get it powdercoated. You can redux the orange speckles and get new decals and make it as good as new. No point in doing half a job.

I love the backstory. My first MTB was a SM600 back in late 86 (87 model year). I too had the bike in my bedroom that first night. Like you I had the misfortune of having it stolen in the mid 90's. My search for a replacement brought me to RetroBike. I now have an identical 87 SM600 that is only 40odd numbers away from my original bike. It will be 25 years come next November since I bought that first bike and I plan to retrace the first big ride I did in celebration (without the sleeping rough bit).

Best of luck with your quest. Looking forward to updates.

24pouces":2be5ecvh said:
Yes, I work on the whole set ;) .

do have seen these wheels ? they are what you need !

I have a set of Vantage Comps in black with DX hubs

I remember my original came with silver Araya’s which I also have a set of so it’s going to be a case of suck it and see when the frame is painted. I love those rims that are for sale; if I had a few spare £££ I’d be snapping those beauties up!

Dr S":3iup0vxc said:
Save yourself a load of hassle and just get it powdercoated. You can redux the orange speckles and get new decals and make it as good as new. No point in doing half a job.

I love the backstory. My first MTB was a SM600 back in late 86 (87 model year). I too had the bike in my bedroom that first night. Like you I had the misfortune of having it stolen in the mid 90's. My search for a replacement brought me to RetroBike. I now have an identical 87 SM600 that is only 40odd numbers away from my original bike. It will be 25 years come next November since I bought that first bike and I plan to retrace the first big ride I did in celebration (without the sleeping rough bit).

Best of luck with your quest. Looking forward to updates.

Just had a sneeky-peek at your SM600.. if mine turns out half as good as that I'll be totally made up!

I wonder how many of us actually took our newly acquired bikes to our rooms on the first night we got them? Loving the idea of a retro-retrace :cool:

I'm going to give the powdercoat option some serious thought but I really feal it would be a shame to loose all of the original paintwork. I'll be able to make a final decision when I get started.

Back