Noob with an old Zaskar

Tonefiend

Retro Newbie
Hey all, I am a new guy from San Diego, Ca. I just picked up this old Zaskar. I have always liked these bikes, coming from a BMX background. This is my first Mt. bike. My last ride was a 24" SE Quadangle reissue. Getting on in years I longed for somthing with some gears, and built in the civilized world.... so I picked up this old Zaskar listed locally.

Going to pick it up tomorrow. What do you all think? Is it a real Zaskar? Looks to me like the decals have been stripped.

Hi, welcome to the site.

Bike is certainly an original Zaskar, you can tell by the flat seatube end cap. I am a bit curious as to what appear to be drill holes either side of the end of the top tube?

Also is an early 90's Zaskar (maybe 93/94), as it has the rear brake cable guides mounted with the triple triangle. If it were earlier, 90/91 then it should have a U brake collar mounted around the seat tube to guide the cables.

The date of manufactor will be stamped on the inside of the rear dropout, so for example 0993**** will date it as September 1993 made.

Some nice period XT on it, original flip-flop stem, and what appear to be Roch Shox Quadra forks.

Decals arent original obviously, but if you contact member gil_m he can do spot on reproduction sets. Just get the date off the frame and he will do a complete set from the exact era.

!B0BR6DwEGk~$(KGrHqR,!hgEw5kBW09)BMYfW9N+gw~~_3.JPG

Thank you, I really appreciate the info! I am headed to pick it up in a few hours. I will get some more info and pics.

Welcome to the club. Nice bike and a good buy at that price.

Glad to see you have the same gouge on the top tube as my 94 model. Makes me feel a bit better to see well used ones as quite a few on here are mint.

Identical shape to mine with the wedge between the top and downtubes and the seperate d.hanger (so 93-96).

Tonefiend":39uoqeej said:
Thank you, I really appreciate the info! I am headed to pick it up in a few hours. I will get some more info and pics.

Cool, keep us all posted. Will make for a good refurb project. Change the flat bar to a riser, get yourself a Vetta TT Trishock saddle and bang on some canti brakes (thus using the fork cable guide ;) ) and ride it like you stole it! ;)

Ok I got the bike today. Serial number states it was made Dec. 1993 and is 18" The frame has that dent on the top tube caused by the brake lever. There is a hole drilled through the top tube behind the seat post. I just finished polishing it up. I sanded it to 2000 grit then hand polished it. Next step is a new decal set.

The seat is thrashed and I have a friend who is going to donate a new one.

The drivetrain is pretty worn out. I might have to replace a few things there.

Tonefiend":aqnu6xsz said:
Serial number states it was made Dec. 1993 and is 18"

Damn I'm good at this :LOL:

To polish to a mirror finish get yourself a tube of Autosol from a local car spares shop, then a can of Brasso from a hardware shop. Autosol first, Brasso to finish.

Quick question, what does Brasso do that Autosol doesn't ?

I just used Autosol on mine and it's come up lovely. Happily try brasso if you reckon it'll look even better.

I snapped some pics today.. I used Turtle Wax Chrome and metal polish. I didn't take the bike apart to polish it up. I will chase the nooks and crannies when I pull parts off the bike.

Next I need to get decals.

4924953297_a7cc04c9d7_b.jpg

4924953327_5b77e32f85_b.jpg

Back