• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
All - have a 92 GT Karakoram. (I'm the original owner)

Can't decide whether to strip it and get it repainted. Been reading around and it seems powdercoating is the best gig.

Armourtex in London will do Frames and Forks for £49.

I'm totally new to the whole concept so if any knows of a thread i can read please let me know. :oops:

Questions i have:

- is it worth the hassle?
- Do i need to do anything to the frame before painting (thinking FrameSaver / other rust repellents)
- What colour !?!
- Do I need to put new decals on before the lacquer coat?
- Where do i get decals from?

:?: :oops: :?: :oops: :?: :oops: :?: :oops:

Here's some pics of how it looks today.

Thanks in advance ;) :?: :oops:

Attachments

• photo_508.jpg
    photo_508.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,647
  • photo_1_134.jpg
    photo_1_134.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,647
Treat the inside with frame saver but other than that I agree that it looks great and it should be left original.

drystonepaul":32q85ztq said:
Treat the inside with frame saver but other than that I agree that it looks great and it should be left original.

Have you ever done it yourself? Is it difficult / hazardous?

trickylad":38x62d4o said:
drystonepaul":38x62d4o said:

Have you ever done it yourself? Is it difficult / hazardous?

It's very easy and not dangerous if you follow the very simple instructions/common sense.
Can be a bit messy, but you won't be doing it on your best shag-pile.

Tape over all the small holes in the frame, pour in your frame saver, swill it around then and pour out the excess.

If you have owned it from new then definately keep it as it is. Every mark tells a story. I reallo regret painting my old kona. So much so i eventually sold it- i'd owned that from new

Leave it as is. I had a Karakoram (now in the care of Pickle) and I could tell you where I got every mark on the frame. It's like having scars on your body, every one has it's own story and brings back the memories (good or bad).

I do want to keep it as is i think.

i removed some additional stickers recently and want to get the glue off the frame - any suggestions

i have to say framesaver scares me a little... :evil:

thanks for all the replies - keep those opinions coming

:LOL:

trickylad":1qx6925j said:
I do want to keep it as is i think.

i removed some additional stickers recently and want to get the glue off the frame - any suggestions

i have to say framesaver scares me a little... :evil:

thanks for all the replies - keep those opinions coming

:LOL:

Also - there's a small dent in the top tube - should i be considering filling it? :?:

Back