Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:51 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 7205
Location: peak district
Changed a few parts today, unable to get into the loft until my back is better so will have to wait a bit longer to fit bars. Also need to swap some chainrings around, fitted some Turbines in place of the Kooka's and the RF chainrings are currently on the cloverleaf cranks on the Ti Bolt. Think i pretty much have everything else, so this one should be ready in time for the next Mayhem too :)


Attachments:
P1012220.JPG
P1012220.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 1900 times ]
P1012223.JPG
P1012223.JPG [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 1900 times ]
P1012225.JPG
P1012225.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 1900 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:14 am 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 7205
Location: peak district
Bit of a head scratch fitting the inner ring as the holes in the ring were slightly out, took me a while to realise it was the ring and not me. :lol: strange how it fitted after flipping the chainring over though :?

Not as nice as the cranks it replaced but as its getting raced it needs to be reliable and i shouldn't have to worry about it once fitted.


Attachments:
P1012250.JPG
P1012250.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 1869 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am
Posts: 302
IMho the nec plus ultra of 26in mountain bikes. I could say it´s iconic... but it´s about the ride and a Yo is the best 26in bike in tight steep trails. A 1995 Yo is a more refined, lighter better Yo. And it´s my size.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:44 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 7205
Location: peak district
Frustrating being injured and unable to get to my bars, did think about taking a pair off one of my bikes within reach but will wait it out for now :|

So, all i fitted today really is the brakes and cranks, and a saddle just for aesthetics, stood it up on some wheels and dragged it outside for a quick pic, poor thing hasn't seen the outside for way too long :(


Attachments:
P1012257.JPG
P1012257.JPG [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
P1012263.JPG
P1012263.JPG [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
P1012267.JPG
P1012267.JPG [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am
Posts: 302
A 130 salsa stem would look and fit better. The bontrager combo looked better than the CTech. it also looks too long.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 pm 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 7205
Location: peak district
Prodigal Son wrote:
A 130 salsa stem would look and fit better. The bontrager combo looked better than the CTech. it also looks too long.



I am actually looking for a 1" Salsa quill, not for this though. I like Control Tech stems and i think this suits the purpose of this build and now gives me a choice of bars :)

The Bontrager stem is 150mm, this is 130mm so shorter, and it doesn't have the rise the Bontrager does, so will in my eyes look nicer, not that im building it as a show bike, purely to race :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am
Posts: 302
mk one wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
A 130 salsa stem would look and fit better. The bontrager combo looked better than the CTech. it also looks too long.



I am actually looking for a 1" Salsa quill, not for this though. I like Control Tech stems and i think this suits the purpose of this build and now gives me a choice of bars :)

The Bontrager stem is 150mm, this is 130mm so shorter, and it doesn't have the rise the Bontrager does, so will in my eyes look nicer, not that im building it as a show bike, purely to race :)


I have one of those CT same rise length quill as yours. I don´t use it because.. it´s too light! I am worried it will break on me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:01 am 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 4414
Location: VCC Member 5558 East Riding of Yorkshire
Evening Mk1... just read this through... very nice frame

What’s the plan regarding brakes? Sticking with the Maggies?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 am 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 7205
Location: peak district
Peachy! wrote:
Evening Mk1... just read this through... very nice frame

What’s the plan regarding brakes? Sticking with the Maggies?



:) thank you, it deserves to be ridden though. I am a bit more motivated by the fact you have built a handful of bikes and all with a lot of effort thrown in, in less time than it has took me to bolt a few parts to this :oops:

I'm all over the place regarding brakes, currently have 987's fitted but may change :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 am
Posts: 302
mk one wrote:
Peachy! wrote:
Evening Mk1... just read this through... very nice frame

What’s the plan regarding brakes? Sticking with the Maggies?



:) thank you, it deserves to be ridden though. I am a bit more motivated by the fact you have built a handful of bikes and all with a lot of effort thrown in, in less time than it has took me to bolt a few parts to this :oops:

I'm all over the place regarding brakes, currently have 987's fitted but may change :facepalm:



I would go v brakes, cheap avids and finish the bars the thumb shifters moving 8speeds if it´s a racer. It´s such a nice smooth combo that is a no brainer. I have those cranks on my ibis but the plan is change to a shimano xt 2x setup. Triples are nice when moving slow. On a go fast bike a 2x is better.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: retrobikeguy and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group