1990 Kona Fire Mountain

Re:

Collected forks today, thanks to a generous friend for letting them go as I was getting nowhere finding 1" Project 2 forks with a long threaded steerer.

They are in poor condition but it was all cosmetic
Untitled by Mac74, on Flickr

Easily sanded off and back to bare metal.

https://flic.kr/p/2jkhAPr by Mac74, on Flickr

These are going for powder coating blue and then I'll splatter them.

Did a quick mock-up to check the bike actually fits me.

https://flic.kr/p/2jkhBqw by Mac74, on Flickr

Re:

Bit the bullet and send the frame/forks/bars and stem all off the powdercoaters.

I had to repaint the chainstay and whilst I did that I realised that with everything else done, the frame would always look too shabby. It photographs well but the paint is falling off in places with multiple rust spots creeping under the paint. This way, everything is done and will match. I know originality rules but there is nothing original on this bike and it's not a high end exotic bike.

Ordered the decals from Gil.

Whilst all that is being done, I've been polishing and servicing parts.

Won't bore you with the pictures of everything but the MT63 levers were stripped down and cleaned and polished

I had two sets of flat pedals, XT ones with knackered cages and DX ones with a screw stuck in the pedal body. I combined them to make a usable set. XT body with DX cages. I tidied up the end of the cages. The XT axles spin really nicely.

https://flic.kr/p/2jnN24V by Mac74, on Flickr

Won't be anymore progress until I get the frame back.

Re:

Frame is taking ages to come back from the powdercoaters.

Have run out of things to get ready for it returning.

Took a black bottle cage and painted it blue, then the white splatter over the top, then clear coat.

Just because the bike isn't going to be heavy enough, I'm using these Mavic Oxygen M6 wheels. They are in great condition but with 36h and straight gauge spokes, they are hefty. I think they are really tandem wheels. I stripped down the M732 hubs and regreased. Spin very nicely.

https://flic.kr/p/2joycAN by Mac74, on Flickr

Re:

Got the frame and forks and other bits back from the powdercoaters. Really pleased with the result, smooth and glossy.

Applied the decals from Gil and spent the rest of the night making a mess!

Final check today to make sure everything is there. Will have a wait a bit before assembly to let the paint harden.

Re:

Wow! You’ve made a great job of the splatter paint. I look forward to seeing this built up.

Re:

Finished this today. The U brake gave me a bit of grief. The NOS one I had bought had a weak return action. Cleaning up the bosses made little difference. Switched to a used Deore one I had picked up and it was night and day.

I'm using 2mm brake cables which are quite a tight fit through the frame guides but everything is together and working. Went for a run on it today and it rolls along nicely.

The build was completed a lot quicker than I intended but pleased with how it turned out.

Re:

I know people like the spec list, so here it is:

Frame: 1989/90 Kona Fire Mountain Steel

Fork: 1 inch threaded Project II

Headset: Deore LX
Stem: Girvin Flexstem (repainted no logos)
Handlebar: Unbranded alu
Grips: Unbranded
Barends: None

Brakes: Deore MT63 - U brake rear
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Clarks 2mm
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore MT63

Shifters: DeoreII Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: M650
Rear Derailleur: MT62 Short cage
Derailleur Cables: Clarkes
Cassette: Shimano M732 12-28
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Deore M650 170mm
Crank Bolts: VP
Chainrings: Deore MT63 biopace
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Deore M650

Hub Skewers: DX
Rims: 36h Mavic Oxygen M6CD
Hubs: M730 front /M732 rear
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Straight gauge stainless
Tyres: Ebay slick branded "Lucky Stone" 26x 2.1
Tubes: Generic Schrader

Saddle: Selle Turbo 1980 Reissue
Seatpost: Generic 26.0mm
Seatpost Binder: Kalloy

Weight:13kg/29llbs

Re:

That’s nice! The matching stem and bars are a great touch. The blue splatter is the best imo, you did an amazing job of it.

Re: Re:

JRGSXR":2mrrs2qr said:
That’s nice! The matching stem and bars are a great touch. The blue splatter is the best imo, you did an amazing job of it.

Thanks, it rides so smoothly. I was originally looking for a Cinder Cone but happy with this for what it is going to be used for. At some point in the future, if a nice Cinder Cone frame comes up, I'll move the parts over but in no hurry to find one.

Back