Bike wanted in Warwickshire

Hunterliney

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm new here (but grey haired, unfit and getting on a bit), I last rode a road bike in 1987. I rode my Trek 800 Mtb for a few years in the early '90's (I'm going to get that sorted over the winter.) Since then nothing - out of touch and completely without a clue - so please, be gentle.

Recently diagnosed with a mini-stroke I'm in need of exercise - a road bike seems the way to go.

I'm reluctant to commit more than £100 (absolute max - I have had a trapeziectomy on both wrists and I'm not sure that I will be able to ride regularly or for any distance -m and wont know 'til I try.)

I'm looking for a reliable, usable bike, cosmetically challenged and non standard equipment - no problem.

I'm 6'5" and have an inside leg of 35.5". (and carry a fair amount of ballast!)

If anyone near Rugby has something that they think will suit my needs please get in touch.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Alyn

Hunterliney":2pnk7esc said:
bikenut2010":2pnk7esc said:
Have you tried any free cycle centres? there's one in Leamington Spa...
I have a nice road bike your size but it owes me 250 :(

If you want to check it out pics are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/befs0pz1p0k3u8o/apGxS3FAKG

Nice, but until I've proved my wrists are up to it, too rich for me unfortunately.

I'll try the free cycle site - one never knows.

Thanks for the advice

Al

Sure, easy does it, maybe wear a wrist support? get doc's advice in anycase...( maybe you've done that, sorry if I'm jumping the gun! ) I'm 63 and enjoying skinny tires, steel and the open road...:)

Hi, time for an update.

Having tried some conventional tourers I decided that I couldn't hack it - a trapeziectomy on both hands means that the balls of my thumbs and my wrists are prone to swell and hurt.

So I have bought a Dawes Kara-kum, it was in the right place, at the right price.

I'm not sure what year it is (probably about 10 years old), but the lots of parts have been renewed recently. It just needed tyres to go.

I'll be replacing the mudguards, fitting trekking bars and touching the frame up here and there if I can find a match.

I guess there's no point in having the front and rear carriers without luggage......... so I'll be looking for that as well.

Regards

Alyn

Hi Alyn
Just off J12 M40
anytime really, Mondays and Thursdays best. PM for tel.no.
And I'll need to dig them out and make sure they're fit for purpose before you travel!

Latest posts

Back