WANTED: Touring wheelset 700c clinchers.

luckyskull76

Retro Guru
Hello.
I plan to build up my king of Mercia touring frame and travel the length and breath of the canal system of the United Kingdom.

I am looking for a fairly robust, no-frills pair of 700c clincher wheels, rims must be able to handle 35c or 37c tires. 36 /40 spokes and to suit 7 or 8 speed transmission at rear (cassette or screw-on hubs both OK, but block itself need not be included). The wheels should be in sound condition with no flats or buckles and plenty of life left on the braking surfaces.

I'm open to all offers. The wheels and a set of alloy mudguards are the final part to me getting this bike on the road.
I am really looking forward to seeing this island by bike.

I'm open to any offers you have.

Drop me a line if you've something you no longer need or use.
Thanks,
Luke

LS

Hi Luke, lovely frame! I have a few wheel sets and mudguards which may be of interest, I'll get some pics to you tomorrow, can you PM your email?

I have a lot of standard 700c 8sp Campagnolo hubs/Mavic rims wheelsets mainly Athena & Chorus. Not sure if they are exactly what you need or whether they will fit the tires you need but PM me if they are of any interest & I'll send details/pics.

I had some touring wheels built for me last year using Miche 'Team' hubs (old style 8spd campag spline pattern), Mavic A119 rims and Sapim 'strong' spokes which are the kind of spokes you might find on a tandem or dutch bike. Laced 32 spoke in 3 cross pattern with velox rim tape, tubes and CST Sensame 'Sumo' 700/35 tyres which are extremely puncture resistant, I'd include skewers and an 8 speed campag cassette too. I've only used them for a few rides but am clearing large items before a forthcoming house move so would sell them if you're interested. They cost around £200 to have built without the cost of the tyres which were £25 each. So I'd be asking around £175ono but if you're after purpose built touring wheels you can't go wrong with these. I can sort out some pics if you're interested.

Back