stripping paint off parts

alric

Old School Hero
I have an alloy (hope)hub which was painted with that tough yellow enamel paint you used to get
Id like to strip it
Many years ago I would have used yellow Nitromors, but now there is only green, and apparently thats different stuff these day
Do I try the new nitromors, or is there a better way?
I dont want to go to a lot of trouble nor expense

Re:

There are several tests of paintstripper shown on youtube.
You could check those before buying.

Ebay also has the pre namby pamby hse full strength paint stripper. In theory the nitromors should do it but may need sever coats, use tooth brushto work the paint stripper.

the hot airgun would be good if it werent for the bearings

MY store had nitromors half price, and my discount made it 3.60 so i grabbed a tin

Chemical strippers will probably eat the bearings seals. If any gets inside then it will dissolve the grease from the bearings. It's a two minute job to tap the bearings out!

Re:

It looks a bit more than 2 minutes to get the bearings out of this bulb front without wrecking them, with the tools I have

maybe the seals can be sealed off?

I had a comment from a friend of mine last week concerning "New Nitromors"

This can be summed up in two words.. "Doesn't work"

He said that whatever the active ingredient used to be this was not in the new version.

Re: Re:

alric":krjpi3i0 said:
It looks a bit more than 2 minutes to get the bearings out of this bulb front without wrecking them, with the tools I have

maybe the seals can be sealed off?

Remove axle end caps (undo grub screws).
Support hub and tap out axle with a soft faced hammer or mallet. One bearing will come out with it. Support the bearing on the axle and tap axle out. Then fit axle back in hub and tap it through to remove the other bearing.
Job done.

Check exact details by the Hope website on the exploded view, depending on your exact axle type (QR / Thru etc)
http://www.hopetech.com/product-documen ... loded-view

Beware that paint strippers contain caustic soda which will remove any anodizing on the hub, coloured or otherwise.

Back