help please orange 222

hurcytm

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I have a old orange 222 dh bike.
14"/ 15" FRAME has Rockshox boxer race forks. fox van dh rear shock.
basically I would like to run shorter forks I have 150mm drop offs or some really nice. Z1 130mm x fly wedge forks that are light compared to the boxxer race and the drop offs. All have bolt through axels.
I like to try an convert it to more am freeride b as the nearest dh section, is like 4 mile ride each way and by the time I get there push the bike up the hill a few times I feel done . just seem like a lot of energy is wasted and bike is not the greatest pedaller and im getting old..i dont do huge air not racing or trying to brake record just having fun.
I thought about buying anew bike or trading mine for an all mountain type . but still kind of love my bike.

What I would like to know.
Changing the fork length could it damage the frame make it unridable ,
How would the bike run with short forks would it be better on longer rides.
how much would I need to adjust the shock as it fairly adjustable looking frame.
. Has any one done this any info would be great thanks .

I think it will depend on what year your frame is as the current enduro/am bikes run similar geometry to older du bikes. Shorter forks could work but the bottom bracket might be too low. To be honest, try it and see!

Hello there thanks for the help .
my bike is the oldest model orange 222. 2001 with 135mm rear axel.
The bottom bracket is fairly high. So lowering it might be ok. Ithink 2001 222 can take afork of 170mm max but there nothing on the shortest fork length I can find.
One thing I have found is the orange patriot 2001 can run 130mm fork with no problem as they come standard with a marzocchi z1.
what would be the difference in the two bikes mine looks more adjustable???????

In an ideal world you would want a fork with a lock out so you can run it at say 130 when travelling
then free it up for hooning. Running a shorter travel will make it twitchier to ride but it won't damage the frame.

Re:

Sadly I don't have any forks with lock off, I kind of found by adjusting the rebound to slow while on flat long rides it stops the forks from bobbing up and down stupidly when pedaling while unseated it kind of helps and adjust it back to fast for dh rides.
will i need to adjust the rear shock position.to slacken the head angle how would I measure the head angle is there tool or correct way to do this or would I better to keep adjusting the shock position until it fills right.
say i was a 4x rider 4 orange back in the day, would i have been limited to there ht 4x model like orange msisle. As there were fs 4x bikes like the intense trazer which were very similar to dh bikes like the m1.
Can any one remember any riders or teams converting dh bikes to run in these type events 4x dual slalom or were they just two heavy ????
Thanks every one u have u been very helpful I look forward to reading your reply's

Re:

you could run a eta cartridge in the fork or equivalent so you can drop the fork down on the rides there are no limits to tuning the rear :) i got the brochure for that year but nothing about min and max travel

Re:

Thanks for reply
were could I by a eta cartridge for the boxxer race fork. would I need to have something made up. there are eta cartridge for some marzocchi forks.
u are right, The frame is very adjustable travel wise I was thinking of just moving the shock to top of the frame it will slacken the head angle and running 130mm fork, see how it goes.
thanks for the help

Back