Going from 165 to 190 or something shock

RoyHoltman

Retro Newbie
Hey guys,

I would like to run something by you guys:

Working on a ful suspension freeride bike with originally a 165mm shock.
Thinking about changing it to 190mm(ish) shock by relocating the top mount position.
Thinking about using a Fox Vanille RC if I can get my hands on one..

Would think I might be able to get more out of the suspension and have heard it could even make for a more stable ride if done right?!
Do need some info of how to do it correctly of if it’s just a completely stuppid idea :p

Attachments

• E41CA08A-7B06-43E8-826B-96D3D0A79B2A.jpeg
    E41CA08A-7B06-43E8-826B-96D3D0A79B2A.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 2
Seems like a pointless idea really. The frame was designed around a specific travel. If its a 4 bar linkage it will bugger up the linkage as youll be moving one of the linkage pivots. if it's a single pivot it will overstress the shock mounts as the shock will not move along the correct path in relation to the lower pivot. Neither will give you more travel really.

You may get away with a longer shock in a single pivot frame using the same mountings but it will destroy the feel of the bike )loft the bb, steepen the head angle etc).

If its single pivot and you move the swing arm mount up to accommodate the longer shock it will follow the correct arc but not really achieve much.

Something like an fobar or four bar linkage can be altered with new link plates and a longer shock, but the important part is the new linkage plates.

Sorry onething I didn’t make clear! Don’t want more travel (as in higher stance) it’s a one point frame and I can change the angle f the shock to be able to fit a longer model!

Travel on those point on the frame are more then original! Total travel of the bike will stay the same

If the total travel remains the same, what exactly is the point?🤔
Different leverage ratio or what?😕

Why not just get a more modern 165mm shock?
They are way better than even 10 years ago...

Back