Red steel frame..Coloured components? keep it simple? RAT!?

konaben82

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ladies and gents,

Here is my new frame, dialled Prince Albert in red,

So, the build plan is:

Renthal fat bar and dh stem
Slx/zee groupset
Spoon saddle
Hope enduro wheelset with nobby nics
Hope headset in black

(I already have all these above ready to go on)

I plan to get some rockshox / fox forks with 120-140 travel in the next few weeks second hand when the right set at the right price pop up

Now, on the shopping list is:

Hope skewer(s) maybe just a rear one if the forks have a maxle
Hope/raceface NW ring
Possibly new chainring bolts if I go down the coloured route
Hope seat clamp
Hope stem stackers

Should I just stick with black? I quite fancy silver though ...part of me likes the idea of blue also...

I'd like it to look a bit custom build but not to over the top...

Opinions please and pictures of your bikes with coloured bits on :D

EDIT: 16/08/15

I am not really mclovin' the red... :facepalm: so, why did you buy the red then plumb head? (I hear you all ask) ...I bought red as it was the only size left in 17 inch and I like 16-18 inch bikes, 15 is a wee bit to small and 19 is just a bit to big for me....

Now, I've been considering a re-paint before the build is finished, I'm pretty much down to neutral coloured components (silver and black) so any colour is possible, there is a place that does powder coating just up the road from me for £20-£30 or there abouts for a bike frame - if you want something that he mixes up on a regular basis like black/white etc then it will be closer to £20 but if you wanted something a bit more tasty and it has to be made up especially then it will be a bit more...

What's been eating me up all week is should I just get it shot blasted and sanded smooth then left to get a surface rust then treat with wax or linseed oil to stop it from corroding away to nothing... gravy monster on here did a superb job of an old kona Kilauea which got a lot of love in the end - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192838&start=70

I know this is a brand new frame and doing this will decrease the value substantially but hey, at least that will stop me from selling it! :LOL:

I think the rat look will go nicely with the brand new clean parts...

Re: Red steel frame... Coloured components? Or keep it simple?

I would fit black components to give a red black theme

Re:

Green yellow and purple!!! :shock: sounds a bit crazy, I'll the give THM a PM and see what he suggests mind you as I'm pretty much open to anything at the moment!!

.. As for black, I know that would work but I don't want it looking like something straight off the shop floor if you see what I mean?

Hmmmmmm. Mondrian springs to mind. Rather than a completely random Broom effect.
Black parts with blue ano accents and yellow cables and seat. Nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 638

Nothing as tasteful. I've done purple, orange, and random. You get the idea though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 632
Re:

You cant go wrong with black and red, but coloured components show their age when you wear through/scratch the top surface.

If this is a bike to get regular use then I would go for silver. If it is a Garage Queen then pimp it up :).

I would say, red frame, black components and gold accents for some bolts, chain, just small stuff.

Re:

I would say not black as I don't like it. I think it makes it look cheap and BSO styled especially with a flat bright red as you have.

If you don't want silver, then look at Ti or gunmetal.

Latest posts

Back