does anyone else not get on with modern shifters?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Or is it just me? I've tried shimano and SRAM shifters, and while I can reach the paddle for shifting to a larger sprocket/lower gear, I find and that the "release" paddle is always difficult and uncomfortable to reach. I either can't get my thumb to it, in the push-push type, or can't get my index finger to it easily, between bars and brake lever

Are my thumbs just weird? Thumbies and gripshift are so much easier!

Really? I have sram and the latest 2 way action shimano and they are wonderful
espesh the 2 way feature.

Presumably you have shifters inboard of brake levers?

Also xt and sram xo have separate clamp so position of the shifter can be adjusted by using different bolt holes, xtr has slot to allow for adjustment.

My most modern shifters are xc pro 8 speed thumbies :)

But I've played around on friend's bikes and at my lbs, and the new stuff just doesn't seem right

In the olde worlde days I used to really hate grip shifts but the latest X0 ones are actually pretty good.

foz":onotkar3 said:
My most modern shifters are xc pro 8 speed thumbies :)

But I've played around on friend's bikes and at my lbs, and the new stuff just doesn't seem right

Dude, modern rocks :xmas-wink:

Re:

Still using 7spd thumb shifters in friction mode on a 9 speed modern(ish) bike. I have a 9 spd indexed shifter somewhere but the existing set up isn't annoying enough to make it worth while swapping over.

Modern trigger style shifters are pretty good nowadays - but I still prefer thumb shifters for the positioning, smoother feel, ability to use with cold weather mittens and general reliability. Some of my thumb shifters are around 20 years old and have been in nearly daily use for most of those years. I still think trigger shifters are pointless for the front mech.

Always loathed grip shifters.

Re: Re:

greencat":xm7tkxpt said:
Still using 7spd thumb shifters in friction mode on a 9 speed modern(ish) bike. I have a 9 spd indexed shifter somewhere but the existing set up isn't annoying enough to make it worth while swapping over.

Modern trigger style shifters are pretty good nowadays - but I still prefer thumb shifters for the positioning, smoother feel, ability to use with cold weather mittens and general reliability. Some of my thumb shifters are around 20 years old and have been in nearly daily use for most of those years. I still think trigger shifters are pointless for the front mech.

Always loathed grip shifters.

On the other hand,I tried some 7 speed xt thumbies on friction on both my 9 and 10 speed set ups and I thought they were totally useless :xmas-wink:

Latest posts

Back