What 29er wheels?

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm looking at upgrading the wheels on my hardtail and wondered what good/bad experiences people have.
I'm looking mainly at the Hope Pro Evo 2/Stans Crest combination but have also considered the Crossmax ST, or a 2nd hand pair of SLR's.
Also, if you've seen a gopod deal anywher on any of the above, give me a nudge ;)

You can often find a good deal on Easton Haven carbons (when I say good deal they are still about £1000). They are tremendous wheels - been running a set on my 29er hardtail for the last few years. They are light, stiff and seem to be bombproof. Other then that I'd go for a Hope + crest/arch combination - great value for money. Been running both in the 26" version on some of Wales' finest rocks and they are strong. I'd probably go with the arch for a 29er wheel as the rim will be a bit stiffer.

letmetalktomark":klz8mgsg said:
What are you upgrading from?

Crosstrails.
I won a nice looking pair of Crossmax SLR's on ebay last night.
Hope they're as nice when they arrive

Re:

Looked in to see what replies there were as I am currently looking for a pair of 29er wheels.

I was looking at some Hope / Stans on the bay, but they got very pricey in the end.

I'm looking for something sensibly light (around 1800g), as this is my first 29er build, and I don't want to spend too much at this stage.

Re:

What Stans rims were you looking at? I've seen a pair of hope pro 2/crest go for around the £18o mark, but they looked a bit tatty

Re:

They were Hope pro2 / Stans Arch, which are the same price new as Crest, just slightly heavier.

They were as new, but went for £290, which is only a few quid cheaper than JE James are selling them new.

makster":26ajjfgl said:
letmetalktomark":26ajjfgl said:

Crosstrails.

...I'd be interested to see what you make of them Mark...

wookiee":1klphuip said:
makster":1klphuip said:
letmetalktomark":1klphuip said:

Crosstrails.

...I'd be interested to see what you make of them Mark...

Knowing my luck at the moment....50p pieces :LOL:
I've ridden them before and really liked them.
I almost bought a pair from a mate a motnh back but someone else beat me too them.
These were much cheaper though so fingers crossed for a happy ending :D

makster":u329gzix said:
wookiee":u329gzix said:
makster":u329gzix said:
Knowing my luck at the moment....50p pieces :LOL:
I've ridden them before and really liked them.
I almost bought a pair from a mate a motnh back but someone else beat me too them.
These were much cheaper though so fingers crossed for a happy ending :D

How much is cheap?? ;) I have to say I have been happy with my wheels. They are Bonty RXL rims and Bonty hubs. Really nice wheels at a mid range price. That said I have just had to replace the rear bearings of which there are 4 sealed units!! But then I have ridden them through shitty mud this winter...your case for having a winter ride is getting stronger mate!

Doug

Back