Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Thought it'd be a good idea to remove the freehub to see if there was any way to take up the wear and/or grease the innards.

First problem is that 10 mm hex key is too small so off I go to purchase 12 mm. Too big to fit into hub so I buy a 7/16 in (11.1mm) hex key that fits but is too small. ..... figure out that the hub needs 12 mm but it is the hole in the bearing race that it too small. A quick head scratch to conclude it would be ok to open up the hole - done with a dremel grinding attachment - whcih it was. 12 mm hex key fits, so far so good. :lol:

Now the freehub is damn tight - yes, I was trying to undo it correctly (it has RH trhead) so out comes a 2 ft length of steel gas pipe. Heave onto the pipe and crack - hub comes undone - great.

Clean races and pack hubs with grease and ball bearings then notice there is a crack in the hub .... hmmm, was it there before? Not sure but reckon I would have noticed it so most likely I snapped the hub trying to remove the freehub .... which after packing with grease, plus there being no way to take it apart, is still as floppy. :facepalm:

Never mind .... :( (don't suppose anybody has got a rear disc hub with 28 holes? )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 pm 
Retro Guru

oooo I feel your pain (sorry no 28h disc hub neither)