Offset mounting kit for '99 FSR ??

ZeeSaffa

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I'm replacing the stock shock on my '99 FSR Enduro (yep... the most basic model :) )

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1999&Brand=Specialized&Model=FSR&Type=bike

It currently has a 160mm but I've got a 165mm RS SID on the way from "BigMick".

I obviously have to order a new mount kit to go into the original linkage - but wondering if it's worth getting an offset kit from TFTuned to keep it as close to the original shock length as possible?
I've read some stuff about offset kits causing problems with wear on the frame, etc.
Is it more trouble than it's worth on this frame?

I just do general trails, XC, AM...

Thanks!

I'm with josh on this...I thought the rear shock was 165mm too. It's a pretty common size, although Specialized have known to fit funny sized shocks to their bikes (my SX for example...on Cane Creek make a replacement shock).

The original shocks on these varies from 150mm to 165mm depending on year original supplier etc etc.

So just fit it and don't worry

Thanks!
I checked and its definitely 160mm.

So, by increasing my rear shock by 5mm and putting longer travel 120 forks on that will make the geometry slacker - correct?

But will i notice it or am I just splitting hairs here?

I was reading about those offset mount kits and some folk say that just a few mm less makes a big difference while some say otherwise.
I just want to keep to the original geometry as much as possible.

That said - I still don't actually know what the actual geometry is and what type of riding it's meant for. . It seems to be just regular XC... ??

True spesh have done some odd shocks. I guess its as bullpup says but youd think they would be a stock size. I think 5mm isnt anything to warrant change elsewhere.
Not tried offset kit. Yeah regular xc/trail riding. Nothing too extreme but a bit of everything.

Well if you think about it no-one uses a different shock with those BETD variable travel linkages so by the time you factor Sag etc into the equation I don't think it really matters that much.

Back