M7 Allen bolts

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Wanted a couple of allen bolts in the difficult to find M7 size, as the old ones in my Oranges stem have gone rusty beyond cleaning up.

Wold Ranger":2bu2d2ti said:
Wanted a couple of allen bolts in the difficult to find M7 size, as the old ones in my Oranges stem have gone rusty beyond cleaning up.

Take one of the originals into a good hardware store, Match it up but buy stainless this time.

M&

No one does M7, tried all my regular bolt suppliers, Worldwide none do Stainless ally or Ti. M7 is very rare with M6 and M8 being by far the commonest None of the local hardware suppliers have anything either :( :( :(

M7?
What part of the stem takes that size then? I have just looked at my usual suppliers and I can only find M7 x 25mm hex head listed, no cap heads at all. How long do you need them? Might be easier to tap them out M8 fine.
If you get really stuck then I could make you some out of an M8 fine cap head as I have a set of M7 taps and dies, but ideally you need to source them with a rolled thread. If I make them then they are not as strong.

Got some stainless M7 capheads at work. Will check length for you on Monday. Chris.

Bolt

It's a taperhead 15mm M7 and it is the pinch bolt for the stem, under the bars. As its a very thin Cromo stem, there is not enough metal to tap it out reliably as its a single bolt fastening. A few early stems had these, most were M6 though. Many modern stems are only M5 now!

Bolt

Thanks Johnny, would need to be strong as its a single bolt under the bars! I may swap the stem for a shorter one, if I can find a 120 ish 10/15 deg one in silver, without a load of logo's on the side!

Looked at work, got 7mm allen key bolts but they are not stainless just standard high tensile ones. You are more than welcome to a few if you need some. Oh they are 25mm long so you would need to chop a bit off. Chris.

Back