Ben Nevis 11th Sept

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View

Hi Clan MacRetro

Long time no see, just thought I'd invite you to ride/guide/ask your opinions on riding Ben Nevis...

Also just to make this clear from the start, this is NOT an official retrobike ride, but at least myself will be on a retrobike.

A bit of back ground to the ride, this will be the last in three mountains we hope to ride this year, the first was Snowdon in April,

Next is Helvellyn in June and lastly Ben Nevis, we're riding these mountains in celebration of ..................'s 50 an still breathing tour.

We're making a long weekend of this so if their's any one passing bye or close feel free to call in for a brew an chat,

Not sure where we're staying yet but suggestions for camp sites/wild camping as close to where we start would be helpful,

Any help/input/advice appreciated

cheers kaya

Hey Vern. Have you got your heart set on riding Ben Nevis, or do you just want to come up to Scotland for some good epic style riding? I haven't ridden it but my understanding is that it's not that great a ride and you could easily make much better use of the journey and visit and ride something properly awesome instead!
Have a wee read of this and see what you think. http://www.tomgeraghty.co.uk/2011/05/22 ... ben-nevis/

Re:

No, no, he definitely wants to ride Ben Nevis ;)

I can't offer any advice, I've only ridden the 10UTB route and the lower parts of the trails there, wouldn't mind going along for a ride to the top though :D

Leave it to the mad Englishmen then! :LOL:

It would just seem a shame for Vern to come all the way up to the Highlands where there is some truly fantastic riding, and then ride Ben Nevis just cos it's the tallest hill in a country full of hills and not that great a ride. But I suppose I can understand the sentiment behind it.

You got time to fit in other rides while you're up?

firedfromthecircus":3p39um6k said:
Hey Vern. Have you got your heart set on riding Ben Nevis, or do you just want to come up to Scotland for some good epic style riding? I haven't ridden it but my understanding is that it's not that great a ride and you could easily make much better use of the journey and visit and ride something properly awesome instead!
Have a wee read of this and see what you think. http://www.tomgeraghty.co.uk/2011/05/22 ... ben-nevis/

Thanks for the link very useful, it sounds like fun to me, Pretty set on Ben Nevis... unless you know a Munro that's a better ride?

The idea was three mountains an these were the first ones in my head, its also one in each country on the mainland (coincidence) and a prefect excuse for a few long weekends away...
an the bike I'm riding is 30 this year... and Matt's 50 or something :LOL:

jimo746":3p39um6k said:
No, no, he definitely wants to ride Ben Nevis ;)

I can't offer any advice, I've only ridden the 10UTB route and the lower parts of the trails there, wouldn't mind going along for a ride to the top though :D

Spot on Jim an your more than welcome to join us

firedfromthecircus":3p39um6k said:
Leave it to the mad Englishmen then! :LOL:

It would just seem a shame for Vern to come all the way up to the Highlands where there is some truly fantastic riding, and then ride Ben Nevis just cos it's the tallest hill in a country full of hills and not that great a ride. But I suppose I can understand the sentiment behind it.

You got time to fit in other rides while you're up?

You missed out old :LOL:

We're starting our road trip Thursday evening (probably overnight somewhere) then carry on uphill after rush hour Friday morning, we don't have to be home till Monday nite so could probable fit another ride in somewhere, you have something in mind?

Re:

Could certainly "be done" but not my idea of a pleasant afternoon bimble :xmas-big-grin:

Bouldery in places

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2opy5ymc said:
Could certainly "be done" but not my idea of a pleasant afternoon bimble :xmas-big-grin:

Bouldery in places

What no tea an biscuits in the cafe at the top Mr P :LOL: :LOL:

You fancy joining us... Their'll be sloe gin an home made strawberry jam buttys :twisted:

Re:

Its next weekend if anyone would like to join the silly old Englishmen on their little adventure?

Jim you still interested?

Back