And today I did......

hope everybody is safe and healthy so far. Clubby / GMac how are things with you being more frontline?

getting into the routine with the home working/exercise etc, roads and paths much quieter here also.

after recently putting my 28er wheels on the solaris, i gave my 27.5+ wheels &2.8 tyres a try on the Primer, actually worked a treat and quite enjoyed the nimbleness of it. the solaris on 29 wheels is like a rocket but i think i prefer 27.5+ just for the sheer grip and nimbleness but solaris 29er is great for the morelimited XC riding under current situation.

Re:

Envious of anyone who can get out on bike at all. Practically in lockdown within Edinburgh. Cannot reach anywhere that is not concrete jungle in a space of time deemed reasonable. Last night I was followed by a Polis car while on my bike cycling the streets. When you have severe depression and anxiety that is unnerving to say the least. Worried I may end up in a mental hospital at this rate but strangely not concerned about Coronavirus much at all. Hope all are well, or at least better than me which at the moment would not be hard.

Re:

Yeah definitely keep getting exercise Velo it certainly helps me mentally for sure.
When this all done I think we have to have a huge Macretro blowout, maybe a ‘ virus free bawbags’ ride to look forward to. As I always believe, it’s nice to have shit but all that really matters is family and mates, without which, the rest doesn’t mean much.
Stay safe
Jamie

Things have quietened down for us a bit. A lot of people panic ordering last week, but seems to be subsiding. Supply chain had a bit of a wobble but seems to be holding. Public are either being really nice or complete arsehats. No real change there. Have reduced public hours at the moment, so getting an hour at the start and end of the day to get caught up in peace.

I feel for you Velo, but there are worse cities to be stuck in than Edinburgh. Some pretty good green space in the centre and not far to beach at Portobello. Just need to find your own little bit of 2 metre space. If anything it must be a lot nicer city to cycle around at the moment.
Very lucky here, easy to get out into the countryside. Took advantage of quieter roads yesterday to go for a family walk out of the village. Wouldn’t normally be able to do that road safely.
Ordered a Hamax Outback trailer today to get us out and about a bit further.

Re:

Hope you and your families are all safe and well.
Its fortunate that there is no restriction on our chosen hobby and we can get out for a cycle as long as we socially distance. I bumped into an old friend yesterday and while we stopped at the roadside for a blether we kept 4m apart. Other than that I had no close contact with anyone.

Velo , are you still in Loanhead? Surely if you head south you'll be into the country in no time and escape the concrete jungle.

I've now got 5 adults living in a 3 bedroom semi and its already stressful. The 3 kids are students and working on their course work from home. Missus is off work due to being asthmatic and the bank can't give her a safe working environment. So far everyone is well.

Hopefully when this is over and we're all in the clear we can have a MacRetro get together.
I'm no longer restricted by shifts as I retired from the polis on 18th March and as the kids are all grown up I'm free for the first time in 30 years

Re:

Look forward to that ride now your a free man Hawmaw :)
I am/was mid long winded assessment as AFO for the Nuclear Constabulary before this all went off, so most likely take the next 12 months now.

Jamie

Re:

Jamie , how does that work ? Do you have a background in that sort of thing or do you go in as a trainee

I had a sergeant who retired after 30 years in Strathclyde with his pension and walked straight into a job with CNP at Hunterston as a Sgt. Unfortunately he went deaf in one ear so they took his firearms ticket off him and he had to retire again

Re:

Hi mate
As a trainee, the selections been going on since last October and if I keep passing will then go for 17 weeks training down south.
My plan originally was when we were being made redundant to apply, if by some chance I got through I would do my training, then 18 months probation then I could apply for canine officer while still retaining the AFO. That way there is always plenty of variety as the dog aspect.
Surprised if I am honest to get as far as I have, just that I was using it as a back up and am still not sure it’s for me really.
It’s a bit like the old Groucho Marx gag in as much do I really want to work for someone so irresponsible to let me wander round with a automatic weapon and authority to use it, crazy times indeed.
No real background in this type of thing at all, shot the odd 202 back in my younger days, otherwise they just seem to like my experience and think it would suit. The rescue work, thinking independently, the usual stuff. Maybe though it’s a willingness to sit on my arse and drink coffee like the rest of them ;)

Jamie

Re:

I hope things work out in your favour. I count myself lucky never to have been made redundant or been out of work. If you get into the CNP and pass your probation then that should hopefully be a job til you retire

Back