My Geoffrey Butler build 1 of 2

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
This one I picked up as a bare frame and posted a frame identification thread over here. Its a very common looking frame so obviously I didn't get a huge amount of feedback or suggestion.

So after a bit of research myself I've come to the conclusion that its probably a Geoffrey Butler and in part of my research into this one I picked up another which definitely is a Geoffrey Butler, and will be build 2 of 2 when I get round to it.

Anyway onward and upwards with this one and I had already painted it back in its original metallic blue so what to do with it now?

Attachments

• DSCF4394.JPG
    DSCF4394.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 970
After a bit of deliberation and looking at what was available decal wise I decided on a 70's looking and probably running build so decal pic and masked up with some red added pic below.

Attachments

• DSCF4403.JPG
    DSCF4403.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 964
  • DSCF4405.JPG
    DSCF4405.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 964
And this is as far as I'll get with it today as I'm told there's other things I need to do today as well as fiddling about with my bike.

Anyway masking removed and it can dry for a while before it gets a good polish and the decals applied.

Attachments

• DSCF4404.JPG
    DSCF4404.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 965
I found some time and the suns still shining so decals on.

I expect they are not completely accurate where I've put them but I'm happy enough with the look in general so hopefully cleat coat on tomorrow and then leave it few days before I start assembly.

Attachments

• DSCF4407.JPG
    DSCF4407.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 943
  • DSCF4406.JPG
    DSCF4406.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 943
The clear coat on the forks is drying as we speak and the frame itself won't be far behind it so it's time to decide what bits to build it with.

I'd decided on a 70's style build and had amassed quite a few different suitable bits so I'll start with the wheels which will be these that I built up a good while ago, they are PlanetX 32H retro rims on Ofmega blue hubs.

Attachments

• DSCF4412.JPG
    DSCF4412.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 917
Next up I need to decide on the crank and mechs so what are peoples thoughts on all these?

So far I'm leaning toward the SR crank with the red chainring bolts and the earlier of the two Suntour mech sets.

Attachments

• DSCF4409.JPG
    DSCF4409.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF4408.JPG
    DSCF4408.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 916
And then which saddle?

I'm leaning toward the white Turbo becasue well its a Turbo and I'm definitely going with these Dia Compe Grand Compe brake levers and if so I'll probably go red bar tape and white cable outers.

Attachments

• DSCF4411.JPG
    DSCF4411.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 915
  • DSCF4410.JPG
    DSCF4410.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 915
legrandefromage":1zfx6hmr said:
I like that.

Not too much red though.
Thanks, I'm hoping it will look as nice finished as it currently does in my head.

I have options and yes I know it would be too easy to go too much red or blue, which Is why I'm thinking the white bits would break it up and add to the 70's colouring theme

Are you sure you want a 1970's theme?

70_fashion_men_ftd-1.jpg

Back