Crown Comet reunion

andyz

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I received this brand new frame and forks for my 13th birthday, in 1980. It was built up on a budget, with components begged or borrowed, and I never got around to fitting a front mech. Rode everywhere on it for 5 years, then got into motorbikes and it went into my Dad's loft, where it stayed for nearly 30 years. It was unearthed again when we were clearing out my Dad's house on his passing. I let my brother take it away as I wasn't very interested in it, but after a year or two I started wanting it back, and here we are today!

At the time, being a 13 year, I thought it was the bees knees, Reynolds 531 and metallic green! Looking at it now, it's pretty low-end, PG tubes, a headlight lug and it wasn't even properly finished around the seat cluster. I don't even remember where the rear mech came from, but it's a Suntour Skitter, which is what we call now rapid-rise (low normal).

The question is, what to do with it. Back to the attic, or build it up as a tourer? As if I need another bike! :facepalm:

Re:

Tourer would be my call, stick a campag triple on there and head for the Lake District.

Back