Ciocc - Info needed

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Hello all,

Saw this advertised locally on Gumtree this afternoon and met the seller and duly purchased after work.

I know nothing about Ciocc - this one is a mismatch of components.

• Hubs are both Campagnolo Record, rims are Rigida.

Crank is super custom, crappy Shimano SIS rear mech, Suntour front mech.

Handlebars are Cinelli and stem is an unbranded but it's a nice shape.

Fork is chrome and has Columbus dropouts

She's oozing character I think, frame is covered in patina but I quite like it! The forks look like they'll polish up well.

Here she is in a very sorry and scruffy state after wheeling her back to my office:

927002_1716050775277931_264423484_n.jpg

Got her home and started the clean up operation...

12598984_430654173794375_1601685636_n.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on the era of this bike please? Brakes are 10mm nut as opposed to recessed allen key fitting and it has gear cable guides brazed to the BB shell.

My very rough guess is 1973 to 1976 based on the BB braze on guides, nutted brakes, and the top tube cable guides. I do not believe that much of the kit is original to the bike, Modolo brakes?
Its a very nice find, the bike still has great presence even in its "as found" state. In my eye, it's a keeper!!!

: Mike

Hi, it's similar to this model:
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ciocc/04.jpg
but I would always look for other verifications that the frame is Ciocc, engraved seat stay caps, fork crown etc. as in this: http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ciocc-w ... -road-bike
BB Guides and nutted brakes are typical 70s early 80s.
Frame weight would be a clue to tubing, 1.8kg +/- would be SL , 2.4kg +/- Aelle etc.
Top tube usually has a signature decal rather than the logo as on the downtube.
Old Cinelli bars are 26.4 diameter, so it's a Cinelli stem as other stems ( Italian ) are 26.0 unless some squeezing is going on!
It should scrub up well, even in that condition; see my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=333994&start=10

Hope that helps

Yep - has a signature decal on the top tube.

No engravings on the seat stay lugs though. The drivetrain is not worth using so it will be built up into a full-of-character fixed wheel I think.

It appears to be a late 70's/ early 80's " chuch" If Genuine with the none engraved fork crown & top eyes on the seat stays it would be a mid range frame set, possibly still using Columbus SL tube for the main tubes only rather than the forks & stays also being SL the top of the range came with engraved fork crowns & top eyes & a complete tube set of the same range rather than being mixed ( having said that if it was a built to order rather than an off the peg frame set mixed tubes could & were used If say the frame was for a heavy/ strong rider) you need the frame # to be sure as to what & when, also check the #on the steerer tube matches the frame # as the fork crown doesn't look quite right ( Maybe been replaced ) There were also times some frames with no decals were sold off to favored dealers in Italy, Belgium, & Holland but this was more sowhen the company was closing down Take the BB out & look in the BB shell see if the tube / lugs are pinned ? ( little nail type pins through the lugs/tubes ) the answers to the # pins will help determine a yea or nay.

Little Al":11s1ez8o said:
It appears to be a late 70's/ early 80's " chuch" If Genuine with the none engraved fork crown & top eyes on the seat stays it would be a mid range frame set, possibly still using Columbus SL tube for the main tubes only rather than the forks & stays also being SL the top of the range came with engraved fork crowns & top eyes & a complete tube set of the same range rather than being mixed ( having said that if it was a built to order rather than an off the peg frame set mixed tubes could & were used If say the frame was for a heavy/ strong rider) you need the frame # to be sure as to what & when, also check the #on the steerer tube matches the frame # as the fork crown doesn't look quite right ( Maybe been replaced ) There were also times some frames with no decals were sold off to favored dealers in Italy, Belgium, & Holland but this was more sowhen the company was closing down Take the BB out & look in the BB shell see if the tube / lugs are pinned ? ( little nail type pins through the lugs/tubes ) the answers to the # pins will help determine a yea or nay.
When there is a tubing sticker ( SL / Aelle etc ) does that refer to the complete tubeset or just the main 3 tubes ( sometimes you see 'true-tubi' )? what does the inclusion of 'pins' denote? Thanks for the detailed info! Chris

bikenut2010":blo3lmm3 said:
Little Al":blo3lmm3 said:
When there is a tubing sticker ( SL / Aelle etc ) does that refer to the complete tubeset or just the main 3 tubes ( sometimes you see 'true-tubi' )? what does the inclusion of 'pins' denote? Thanks for the detailed info! Chris
The stickers should denote if it"s the 3Main tubes or the complete frame/forks built from that tube set, unless they are renovation stickers. The pins were used by a good number of Italian top class frame builders? they tended not to use OTT frame jigs, citing built in stress, the tubes/lugs were all pinned to produce a complete or main tube frame set & a very careful eye was kept on alignment before & during the brazing or in the case of top notch tube sets silver soldered. a finger ( with care in the BB shell ) up the down or seat tube & if you feel ribbing it's a Columbus SLX tube set.

Back