79 Carlton professional

AndyMart

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Just picked up my new project, seems to be in excellent and almost period perfect condition. Question is do I keep it Japanese or swap the nuovo record group I have on to it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,013
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 998
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 889
Re:

Now looking a little racier. Spec is, dura ace brake calipers, 600 front and rear derailliers and shifters, SR seat post and hubs with G40 rims, 3ttt stem, cinelli bars. Campag record headset, turbo saddle, TA chain set.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 992
Re:

I have just finished a 1978 Dave Lloyd where I have deliberately used a mix of age related components as, I am told, that is what a true clubman's bike looked like back then.

If your Carlton is as it was BITD, then if it were mine I would keep all the parts it came with and just give it a good clean and service, make it safe and roadworthy, and ride it.

I have a SR apex chainset I could put on, and if I can get some dura ace brake levers it would be 100% Japanese. I followed your build Neil it turned out great, definitely my cup of tea.

Re:

That sounds great.

Thanks for the compliment, I am very pleased with how it all came together in the end.

Very nice :) Original team silver lustre too with the Carlton down the forks.

Off the top of my head a Raleigh Team frame was about £100 in 1979, the Carlton Pro which was basically the same came in at about £69 so you got a lot of frame for your money. You would normally swap over what you had on your old frame onto the new one. Unless you had a fair amount of cash then most bikes had a mix of manufacturers.

Any chance of going non aero on the brakes?

Shaun

Any chance of going non aero on the brakes?

Shaun[/quote]

Already have Shaun, slipped a pair of campag gran sport levers on (hoods readily available) and a milremo saddle. Thinking black cloth tape, gum hoods, gum wall tyres. Wheels will need a rebuild if hubs are ok and that should be all that's required. :D

Re:

I like the sound of all that.

Vittoria tyres look the part, have very low rolling resistance and grip like nobody's business.

Velo Orange do some double thickness cotton bar tape which is dead easy to wrap and has just a little bit more thickness.

I like the sound of that tape because the stuff I used on my SBDU was an absolute nightmare and barely long enough to cover the bars, must of wrapped them 5 times in both directions before I got a acceptable result!

Back