1985 Gios Professional neoretro project *finished page 6*

deanhempshall

Old School Hero
I've bought this from my brother in law, he bought it as a Brian Rourke but it turns out to be a Gios.

Frame: 1985 Gios Professional

Fork: 1985 Gios

Headset: Shimano A600
Stem: Cinelli Gios
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Cinelli

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo

Shifters: Shimano Dura ace
Front Derailleur: Unknown
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura ace 7sp
Cranks: Shimano Dura ace

Rims: Mavic Ma40
Hubs: Campagnolo Chorus
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo

Seatpost: Campagnolo

Plan is to strip and restore the frame & forks, rebuild with some more modern parts.

Re: 1985 Gios Professional

deanhempshall":osrlshoa said:
I've bought this from my brother in law, he bought it as a Brian Rourke but it turns out to be a Gios.

Great deal but please go for a repaint. Consider Gios blue ore white. They made this frame a few years in white. Last winter I restore one myself:

996971_10201583063352023_323833701_n.jpg

1453423_10201583063712032_809438991_n.jpg

1476327_10201626349754156_307005049_n.jpg

Good luck and fun with this project and I please to love to follow this one :D

Re:

Thank you :)

Don't worry it will be repainted over winter, I'm not too keen on the gios blue or white to be honest but it will probably be painted period correct.

I know I will get a lot of grief from people for not doing a full period correct restoration, but it needs to be practical and comfortable for me to use aswell.

Re: Re:

deanhempshall":czt87bou said:
I know I will get a lot of grief from people for not doing a full period correct restoration, but it needs to be practical and comfortable for me to use aswell.

+1

Re: 1985 Gios Professional

When the frame is from 1985 (Check the framenumber) then you got two more, period correct, colour options: Black and full chrome. Another colour, introduced 1986 was red.

Enjoy your project!

Re:

Gios have confirmed that it's a 1985 model. I did see the black which I think would look great with the chrome forks & polished dura ace group set.

Re:

Yeah, go ahead! Please be aware while stripping the paint. Do Not sandblast or blast with anything else! By hand or more comfi with an Acid-Bath! Thats pretty cheap (app. 20£) and safe regarding struktur and welding of the frame.

Re:

Thanks for the advice on stripping, I guess it will either be nitromorse or acid dipping (if there's anywhere local) then.

Re:

I had 10 mins on my hands this morning so I thought I would start cleaning the forks up.

I had read about using tin foil and I didn't believe it. But bloody hell does it work

Before - rough with rust spots and dull finish

After - Lovely shine and no rust spots

I'm going to strip it and have it painted over winter, but for now I just want to get it tidied up and enjoy it while we still have some reasonable weather.

First I need to free up the stuck in seat post, any ideas?

Back