Raleigh Banana 531c Restoration

aliante

Dirt Disciple
Hello all, thought some of you folks might be interested in my Raleigh Banana project so wanted to put it up here.

When I was a younger lad, my first proper road bike was a 531c Raleigh Banana which I bought as a frame only and built it up to race on, no idea where that bike is 20+ years on but I loved it at the time, and for the last few years I have been feeling nostalgic, and wanting to bring one back to it's former glory. So about a year ago I picked up a well used but original Raleigh Banana 531c, I was very happy with the bike and despite the scratches and scrapes, it was in great physical condition and it rode beautifully, and it was kitted out with a mix of 105 / Ultergra kit with a nice set of Open 4CD rims. The kit was all fairly tired looking so it will all be replaced with what I would have built it up with back then, if I could have afforded it!

So then I had a loooong wait for decals (about a year) and started to wonder if I would ever get this project off the ground, but when they finally became available (thanks H Lloyd), I snapped them up and took it to straight down to the paint shop for a shot blast and re-spray (Colour-Tech, Dartford). Really happy with the result so far and feel that my patience has paid off.

So here is the finished frame; I will probably add build pics as I go along and I'll try not to take too long over the build. :p

LB0BuGnl.jpg

Here are some more pics:

Before

After:

Full Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/iBZ80#0

EDIT: Post Build, Spec Sheet added below:

Frame & Fork: 1988 Raleigh Banana 531c (Renovated)
Headset: Tange Passage (Satin Finish)
Stem: 3TTT Record 84 (Black)
Handlebar: 3TTT Competizione
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork

Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402
Brake Calipers & Pads: Shimano Dura-Ace 7400
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR

Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402 (8sp)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 7400
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402 (8sp)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402 (8sp)
Chain: SRAM PC870
Chainset (Full incl. BB): Shimano Dura-Ace 7402 (172.5mm)
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 7401 Clipless

Rims: Mavic MA40 (32h)
Hubs: Shimano Dura-Ace 7402 (32h 8sp)
Spokes & Nipples: Sapim
Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa SC
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Shimano Dura-Ace Black

Post Build, new before and after shots added:

Before:
xLdQKkGl.jpg

After:
9BbE3c2l.jpg

:)

Compared to the Panasonic/Weinmann Team bikes these appear to be so rare

Looking forward to seeing this built up

Re:

Lol yes tools will help!

Yeah they don't come up for sale very often so I had to wait quite a while for the right one to come along, and within reasonable travelling distance! I've got a nice full set of Dura Ace 7402 to put on it, and matching bits from the era like 3ttt bars & stem, Turbo saddle etc. And tools. ;)

Re:

Step 1, fit the headset.. :facepalm: nothing is ever straight forward! So I asked for the pump pin to be moved because it was off centre, but the pin is now protruding so much into the head tube that the steerer wont fit up there. Rather annoying, hopefully I can get something on the drill to trim it down, otherwise it will have do be done with a hand file. :roll:

Re:

Step 1, fit the headset (take 2).. sorted the clearance issue quite easily with a hand file so the headset is back in, forks slide nicely into place, fit the top cup and.. :facepalm: There is too much stack height on the DA headset, so back to the drawing board.

Re:

The DA headset is already a low stack height model. I believe the 6400 Ultegra was perhaps a few mm shorter

Headset problem resolved, and it's starting to look a bit more like a bicycle now!

I have settled for a new Tange headset and although it might be a few grams heavier than the Dura Ace, it's a perfect fit, alot cheaper than the alternatives and I think it looks tidy on the bike, so it will do, for now at least. :)

Looking good :)

Only thing I'd say is 'are the top tube decals too far away from the head tube?'

Edit: having looked at the Dave Rayner ex bike on here they aren't as far away as I had thought on yours!

Keep up the good work, and spreading the good name of the Heron

Back