A collection of various Raleighs

rblack86

Retro Newbie
First there was the Eclipse:
sE7nPPXl.jpg

This was a gift from my dad, original thread here. I kept it pretty much as it was when I got it, the only things changed initially were the bar tape and levers, then the front wheel and tyres after a run-in with Princes Street. Destickered almost immediately too. Now stripped down to the frame + forks awaiting a rebuild into a fixed gear.
Then was the first Royal:
XvXuUvyl.jpg

I received it as a bare frame, which kicked about behind the sofa for a few months waiting for singlespeed parts. After a while I had another, newer Royal given to me which more or less replaced the Eclipse for day to day riding, so I used the parts from it to build this monstrosity:
4KyPshFl.jpg

It really was as shonky as it looks, the chain had a habit of jumping onto a bigger cog and putting the chain under huge tension, and the left hand crank fell off almost daily. The handlebars and brake were taken from a Raleigh Arena I got for £25.
Looking slightly more respectable with some bar tape and oh-so-retro fuzzy dice:
w4hJ6V5l.jpg

And finally, proper handlebars and brakes, along with a "real" singlespeed drivetrain:
weB2GH6l.jpg

The 46x16 ratio is slightly more forgiving going up the Royal Mile, and doesn't threaten to explode anymore. Also note the 197? Mavic that's replaced the black Rigida at the back, bought from my old flatmate for the extravagant sum of £15.
And the final Royal:
8wn4S7Wl.jpg

Complete with horrible looking and feeling tape. I've yet to ride this any real distance without something going wrong.
Well, except the time I took it up a trail on Arthur's Seat:
ONJxvfMl.jpg

Well, that's my current collection of bikes, except for two more that really don't deserve to be called bikes so don't belong here.
Edit: Bonus photo of the mess of bikes my room was at one point
Ni863mZl.jpg

How did you manage to get permission to get the bikes in the house? My wife has a fit if i bring a brake caliper into the kitchen!

Richard

Having done up an old Raleigh last year, and looking at your lovely ones here, why do Raleigh's always seem to have massively long head tubes? I looked at loads of nice 1" diameter forks last summer and they were virtually all just about half an inch too short! Maybe just my bad luck!

Meejoir":1ara66qf said:
why do Raleigh's always seem to have massively long head tubes?

Well, all bar one of the above frames look at least a 24"/61cm, hence the long headtubes. I guess yours was/is a similarly large frame?

Al3xander":3rqettjn said:
Meejoir":3rqettjn said:
why do Raleigh's always seem to have massively long head tubes?

Well, all bar one of the above frames look at least a 24"/61cm, hence the long headtubes. I guess yours was/is a similarly large frame?
They are indeed all absolutely massive, I have a photo of the eclipse next to a french bike of similar vintage, it made it look like the french one was made for a small child. I'm banking on none of my forks breaking any time soon because of this, finding decent forks would be a bit of an ask, might even have to at some point get some made up.

Sorry for the delay in reply! Mine was/is a 23" Equipe and, being a tight arse, I refuse to splash out on a brand new pair of uncut 1" diameter forks. I sourced, what I thought and what looked to be, the perfect length carbon ITM Spider fork on a whim from a second hand shop (without measuring :facepalm: ) at just over 200mm but alas it was about 20mm too short. Still, it's all in my man cave for the next vintage project....

Back