Decisions, Decisions!

Shorter if you can make it similar to Alf's with drilled out components :)

Well, you're marginally ahead (or is it behind?) with the Shorter- there's a bracket in there!

Ralph the Rohan, can you hip us (well, me, anyway) to the Shorter frame numbering system? I bought a secondhand frame with Shorter transfers in 1984, but I was never convinced it was a Shorter. My number suggests a 1975 frame:

001.JPG

It does have a similar fork rake to this one of yours. The top-eyes are quite different, though.

Which fork bend do you prefer, Midlife? I could live with either of 'em, but I think I prefer the fork bend on the Emperor... probably just the grass being greener..

Torqeless,

I am probably one of the least qualified members on here to advise on Frame numbers. If it helps at all the Frame number on my Shorter, which I have no reason to doubt is an actual Shorter, is....

This number is also repeated on the Fork steerer. I would assume that the "AS" stands for Alan Shorter (could be wrong of course!) and that the "279" could mean it's the second frame produced in 1979. The features of the frame point to it being of that period.

It would be interesting to hear from other Shorter owners.

Steve.

Attachments

• Number.JPG
    Number.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 925
The Special Shorter I have is stamped MP on the BB which means Martin Pyne even if its only between 17 & 18" frame :)

I am sure you know Alan Shorter wasn't a frame builder and I guess Barry Chick built your frame...... what they stamped on them was pertinent to the day. Alf Engers allegedly rode on unpainted frames which had been put together for a race with no time for the paint to dry :)

Still doesn't alter the fact that the Emperor sport looks faster...........

Shaun

One of Alf's frames that is with a colleague who never built it up.

Yeah that is helpful...thanks. Sorry for hijacking (a bit), but you have to take these frame-identification opportunities where you find them.

Mine begins to look less likely to be a Shorter. The bracket number was not in that position on the shell, and IIRC smaller letters. (The BB shell was replaced, by Shorter, about 15 years ago).

Re:

As you can see the 1978 Emperor Sport was next in my queue of 70's Time Trial machines....

Much better pics will soon be posted in a seperate thread.

Steve.

Attachments

• Emperor3a.JPG
    Emperor3a.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 668
Back