1977 Mercian

Melon

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone.
Please see below the pictures of my Mercian.
I bought this on ebay a couple of months ago and after a bit off postage hassle it arrived from Ireland.
I plan to get the frame restored and then re build it somewhat as is.
I do also have a few questions that hopefully maybe someone will be able to answer.
Firstly the frame number is 114277 which from internet suggest to me the bike is from 1977.
This also makes sense for all Dura Ace 1st gen and Dura ace EX 7200 parts.

The parts in general are
DA - brakes, levers, mechs, shifters, headset
SR Royal - chainset, pedals, seat post
cinelli - bars/stem
San Marco Super Corsa saddle
Campagnolo hubs and mavic (Monthlery pro?) rims

From the original listing I thought I would not get it resprayed, however on arrival the paint is in pretty poor condition and as such I will be going down this route. I am leaning towards painting it the same as it is now however we will see.

My questions are along the lines of;
What is the model? I've looked at the 70's and 80's Catalogue's and can't see anything the same, (though some are similar)
Really what confuses me is the complete lack of braze ons, there are none! not even a 'pip' on the chain stay or on the downtube. Could it be to save money when getting it made? or not to damage the tubing? thoughts?

Firstly here are the photo's from the original ebay listing. - I will post up more later :)

Freddie

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!)8E9s4l8BKDBRBVC8fuU!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16Z,!)8E9s4l8BKDBRBVC8fuU!~~60_12.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 344
  • $T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5uQ1BRBVBqYptQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5uQ1BRBVBqYptQ~~60_12.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 344
  • $(KGrHqV,!g8FDfHnT,ziBRBU+IS7RQ~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!g8FDfHnT,ziBRBU+IS7RQ~~60_12.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 344
  • $(KGrHqN,!lEFD)--BMs4BRBU8os8jw~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!lEFD)--BMs4BRBU8os8jw~~60_12.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 344
Looks quality from the photos supplied - Mercian in Derby will most certainly be able to help, as will RB member Blightyinfurs who has a number of rather fine Mercians.

Latest posts

Back