'81 Raleigh Competition 'Griffin'

Ramon

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

I have recently been restoring this 30 year old Raleigh Competition. She was in a very bad shape when I got her :roll: . So I fixed her up in a nice riding condition.

Just thought I would share some info/photos with you.

Some info about my bike:

Year: 1981
Make: Raleigh (Carlton)
Model: Competition
Frame: Reynolds 531
Wheels: Araya 700c (36)
Steering bar and stem: Suntour
Tires: Schwalbe Lugano
Crank: SilStar cranks with Campagnolo Super Rekord pedals
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Vx
Front Derailleur: Shimano Fx
Shifters: Suntour
Brakes: Weinmann 605's and Weinmann Brakehandles

My first intention with the bike was a quick fix and ride it but I felt like the bike deserved more. So here we are, several months later and I am pleased that I did spend that couple of more weeks working on it.

I tried to update the bike a bit giving it a more modern feel without destroying the classic look.

The idea for the name 'Griffin' came from the bicycle bell which has a Griffin stamped on it. I got the bell because the color matches the rest of the bike.

Ramon

Attachments

• 1095.jpg
    1095.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2,105
  • 8215-1.jpg
    8215-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,105
  • 1097.jpg
    1097.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,105
  • 1092.jpg
    1092.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 2,105
All sit together nicely. Im not sure about the tyres myself, but thats just me. Looks to be a good solid machine.

Must say I wasnt sure about the tires myself at first.

It took me some time before I made the decision to put modern tires on a classic racebike. :roll:

This decision was made easier because the bike wasnt very original when I got it.

The old tires where starting to decompose so they simply had to go. I decided to give the bike a more modern feel to it using these 'new' (skinny) tires instead of more original ones.

I think it does make the bike look a lot more faster and gives it a more modern feel.

I know some of the purists may not like it, but the intention isnt to build a museum piece but a nice bike to ride.

Ramon":17yoeq1x said:
Must say I wasnt sure about the tires myself at first.

It took me some time before I made the decision to put modern tires on a classic racebike. :roll:

This decision was made easier because the bike wasnt very original when I got it.

The old tires where starting to decompose so they simply had to go. I decided to give the bike a more modern feel to it using these 'new' (skinny) tires instead of more original ones.

I think it does make the bike look a lot more faster and gives it a more modern feel.

I know some of the purists may not like it, but the intention isnt to build a museum piece but a nice bike to ride.

I concur with your last remarks! I ride all mine, even though the oldest is pushing 53 years. Polished rear free wheels and such nonsense aint my idea of a bike...

agree i have some blue conti grand prixs on my road ace they match the frame nicely.
thats a nice classic raleigh frame by the way

The Frame is a Reynolds 531 (been told that's a good thing) and the whole thing weighs just 10,5 kg (or 23 pounds)
(very light if you ask me, don't know what the weight of a standard classic racer is? :roll: )

the decals are a bit worn, so at first I wanted a full respray of the frame but I decided to keep it as is... just keeping a bit of the original ;)

After a lot of polishing I discovered that the chrome is still in near mint condition :D

Back