** Enigma Ego Ti 29er **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Have been looking for inspiration to get out more on the bike... they spend more time propped up against a wall in the back room than they do outside :oops:

I bought some carbon forks for my last build but it just wasn't doing it for me... so I started the hunt for a new frame to bolt them to... as you do! :roll:

After my carbon 29er Ibis Tranny, my next favourite bike was the Black Sheep Ti, but it always felt a little too short for me.

The carbon EPO was perfect for reach, but was lacking in the 'welds' department that I'd been so impressed by with the Black Sheep.

So another titanium frame was the search criteria!

Having seen FFTC's beautiful Salsa El Mar Ti with its bomb pop blue front end, and having owned an A La Carte ti, I knew these were nice frames, and conveniently, one duly appeared on eBay! :D Unfortunety it was too small and for collection only... :facepalm:

This process led me to the frame that is now on its way across the water to me as I type this... an Enigma Ego Ti 29er :cool:

Long in the top tube and with a bolt through rear end it was exactly what I was looking for, and will give me something to fettle with and tweak in the finish department, the beauty of ti is being able to rejuvenate the finish!

Here's a pic from the eBay ad.

Attachments

• ego.jpeg
    ego.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 3,968
Re:

Almost all my parts will swap across so should be a straight-forward build when the frame arrives.

I've ordered a shim from USE for my seat post from 31.6 to 30.9 which takes care of that easily enough.

But this frame features a 44mm head tube so necessitates yet another new headset... there are so many styles of headset these days it's ridiculous!

So ordered this morning was a Chris King Inset 7 in matte slate... my third CK headset in as many bikes! :roll:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this build, will post up more pics and continue the build thread as things progress!

Attachments

• INSET7.jpeg
    INSET7.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,961
Re:

Some pics of the welds and some of the nice features... the chainstays and seatstays that change from round to square profile, the bottom bracket area, the down tube that is ovalised at the bb join, the dropper hose hole and the head tube badge which I've now mirror polished.

I was thinking I would refinish the frame, but actually I think I'm just going to leave it as it is, I really like the bead blasted finish even though there are a few imperfections... it's something I can revisit in the future.

The CK headset was a total pig to fit, but it's in... finally!

Attachments

• ego7.jpeg
    ego7.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego6.jpeg
    ego6.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego5.jpeg
    ego5.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego4.jpeg
    ego4.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego3.jpeg
    ego3.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego2.jpeg
    ego2.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 3,817
  • ego1.jpeg
    ego1.jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 3,817
Re:

:cool:

Attachments

• ego13.jpeg
    ego13.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 3,816
  • ego12.jpeg
    ego12.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 3,816
  • ego11.jpeg
    ego11.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 3,816
  • ego10.jpeg
    ego10.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 3,815
  • ego9.jpeg
    ego9.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 3,816
  • ego8.jpeg
    ego8.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 3,816
  • 5196E056-83E9-4105-9DC7-837D08FBAFE6.jpeg
    5196E056-83E9-4105-9DC7-837D08FBAFE6.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 3,805
Re:

All assembled apart from the chain... was sure I had some joining pins but can’t locate them! Will have a proper look later.

Looks great, even the wife commented “it’s the nicest looking one you’ve had”.... high praise indeed! :LOL:

Just a few bolts to torque and seat height to set, then play around with the steerer spacers a bit.

Here it is in the meantime! :cool:

Attachments

• enigma.jpeg
    enigma.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,742
Re:

Completed :cool:

Attachments

• egoti4.jpeg
    egoti4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,731
  • egoti3.jpeg
    egoti3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,729
  • egoti2.jpeg
    egoti2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,731
  • egoti1.jpeg
    egoti1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,732
Re:

First time I've used a 160mm disc on the rear, the 180mm would easily lock-up so I'm sure this will be fine.

Looks better without the adapter too!

Attachments

• egoti9.jpeg
    egoti9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,729
  • egoti8.jpeg
    egoti8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,729
  • egoti7.jpeg
    egoti7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,729
  • egoti6.jpeg
    egoti6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,730
  • egoti5.jpeg
    egoti5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,730
Re: ** Enigma Ego Titanium 29er **

velofrog":pu46bnvk said:
Having seen FFTC's beautiful Salsa El Mar Ti with its bomb pop blue front end, and having owned an A La Carte ti, I knew these were nice frames,
Aaw shucks! :oops: :mrgreen:

Looks very nice indeed. :cool: The green fork brings back memories of the Ibis you had at Dunkeld! Would be nice if you could find something else to colour match it up front just to tie it in, even just a set of grips would do if they matched well enough.

Now go get it filthy! :LOL:

Re: ** Enigma Ego Titanium 29er **

what does it weigh? Good to see rigid front

Latest posts

Back