Yet ANOTHER Pace RC200 Rescue Story

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Always making life easy for myself, having taken on one lost cause of a Pace which is just approaching the final stages of resurrection another one is about to start the process. :facepalm:

The red F8 is a 16”, and arrived with a split head tube and seat tube. Now it’s been worked on it’s as close to new as an old frame gets. It got me thinking about a chat I had some months ago about a silver 19” F8 frame that was cracked at the head tube. The owner was looking to move it on and I thought hey, if we can do it once…

Logic time. I’m not tall, so I tend towards the smaller side of medium size frames. My GT of choice is 16” (the 14.5” Zaskar is great for fun but not for riding all day). My Hei Hei is a 19” and fits OK, as was my old RC200 F3, both are about as big as I could really go. So what if, after all the work bringing Red back up to spec it’s just too small?

Rather than wait until it’s finished and find out, wouldn’t it be better to have a plan-b in the pipeline?

Besides, if the 16” is too small for me and I end up using the 19” one, then maybe that’s the boy’s next bike sorted. :D

And if the 16” works fine then I could perhaps do something a bit different with the larger frame to pi$$ off the purists, just for fun. :twisted:

Yeah, great logic.

On the plus side, this 19” frame looks in good fettle, bar the dickie head tube obviously. So I went to Dan C again and asked for his help. As always he was really helpful from the off and agreed to work his magic and try again with the anodisers. And so here begins another lost cause project, same as last time but different.

Lets see where this one goes

Attachments

• DSC_1483.jpg
    DSC_1483.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,325
Re:

I want to keep and reuse the head tube badge. Rivets wouldn't budge so decided to attack from the rear, so to speak, so it's been for a pre-chop chop :)

Attachments

• DSC_1617.jpg
    DSC_1617.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,281
Dan brought a little something to Mayhem for me...

Great work as always, just need to work out how to finish it off now :D

Attachments

• pace3.jpg
    pace3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,663
  • pace2.jpg
    pace2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,663
  • pace1.jpg
    pace1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,663
Still not decided how to take this forward. My red 16 in her (ooh-err) is fine and dandy but am still thinking this larger one would be a 'better' size. Plus it's been hanging in the wall since mayhem 2019 and it looks lonely
I think I have 4 options.
1. Leave it as it is, build it.
2. Acorn to be properly stripped and anodised some beautiful shiny colour. Not a cheap option.
3. Powder, got a local place that has a decent rep. Guess it would need some work to strip the ano finish off though anyway?
4. Paint. Sand it, rattle can, doofer job. Just waiting for the weather....

Or I could just leave it hanging on the wall another year I suppose

Re:

Number 1 for me. You can always decide later if you really need it re anodising or coating.....tbh I find mud and British dust from the trails the best finish ;)

If you do go for #3, powdercoat, it shouldn't need any additional work, as the PC will cover the same on the bare metal and the old anodising.

All the best,

Latest posts

Back