FINISHED! Another Pace RC200 Rescue Thread

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I thought it about time I started documenting this project.

Earlier this year I was trawling the forum chasing up a few old threads in my search for a late model RC200 or RC300 for my collection. I came across an old thread which wasn't tagged as sold offering a red RC200F8 in need of repairs (aren't they all?). The seller responded to my enquiry that the frame was indeed still available and after a bit of haggling the deal was done.

Damage was a cracked headtube AND seattube, so as soon as the frame arrived with me I took a trip to see Mr Chambers to discuss options for repair. It does sort of mean dismantling the whole frame :?

Hopefully Dan will be able to bring this one back to life. The trouble is that even though Dan will undoubtedly do a top notch job of the tube surgery the red ano finish will be totalled. So I have to decide what to do with the frame once it's whole again.

Updates as the project progresses :D

Attachments

• rc200f8. 1.jpg
    rc200f8. 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 9,572
  • rc200f8.2.jpg
    rc200f8.2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 9,572
Re:

That's going to be a challenge. I hope it all works out.
I guess re-anodising may be an option? Powder coat seems quite popular though.

Re: Another Pace RC200 Rescue Thread

I am awaiting the verdict from Dan but last time we spoke it didn't sound promising for ano finish. Different metals, different ages, different welds, the old stuff would need totally stripping which is tricky and then it would likely look odd as the different materials tale slightly differently to the treatment.

Powder might work but I'm concerned about the thickness of the coating losing the definition of the external butting. Might be a non-issue but I guess I need to do some research.

This sounds like quite an expensive approach to getting almost what you wanted?

Lacuna":1fsmoduh said:
This sounds like quite an expensive approach to getting almost what you wanted?

Trouble is that good ones are expensive, and old, and most suffer the same weakness as shown with this frame, ie cack tubes in key places.

It will cost a few ££ but still less than buying a 'good' one, and *hopefully* it will be just right when it's done. Thats why I want to carefully consider the final finish to get it in a shape I would want to keep and use it.

Knowing my luck it will ride like a pig :facepalm:

One of the big appealing features of the pace frames for me is the external butting. The f8 features some nice details in the head tube ( I wonder if this is related to the tendency to crack.... :? )

Hopefully Dan can machine something to look the part, it's a nice to have but I will bow to his advice on maintaining a functional frame as the priority.

On the plus side, and I know it's not the same as original shown in the above photo, but I bagged this metal head tube badge from Tim which may end up on the repaired frame. Still not 100% and it will depend on the final decision on finish. It's a start.

Attachments

• DSCN0485.JPG
    DSCN0485.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 9,421
  • head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 9,421

Latest from Dan:

I'm ready to make the head tube etc, but am waiting on a couple of contacts to see if I can get the anodising removed before I make the repair, then have it re-anodised the red (or another colour if you prefer).

So no visible progress but plenty happening in the background :D

Had a quick catch up with Dan on Friday, looks like he's hoping to get his new workshop together in the new year so likely a bit longer before he makes a start on this, plus he's got a fair list to work on.

He's also a bit less optimistic now that we can get the anodised finish we were looking for, so it's time to hit the paint swatches I reckon.

Dan is still getting his workshop together so still no progress on this one.

But thanks to user Racer X a set of decals is on its way to me, so thats another finishing touch ready for when the time comes.

I think I'm going to transplant the parts from my Orange Evo - pace forks, hope discs, raceface kit.

Still haven't decided how to finish the frame off once the repairs are done. Dan has been looking into some options for anodising but not getting very far, so looking like a powder/paint option.

Back