Schools out! Time for a new build - Y2K Santa Cruz Chameleon

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
All parts present and correct - just waiting on the frame - c'mon postie!

p5pb13735744.jpg

p5pb13735745.jpg

Re: Schools out!!! Time for a new project ;)

Slooooow progress on this one - still (im)patiently waiting for the frame but just found these down the back of the sofa (aka under the stairs) . . . super-rare (google 'em) Oakley .5 / Point Five grips (cut down for Gripshift :facepalm: in the mid-nineties) - perfect for the new build :cool:

p5pb13745478.jpg

Tried to sell them on ebay many times without success despite full pairs going for silly money. Guess there aren't many one armed BMXers around :LOL:

Sure is :cool: . Hoping my lovely Bombers won't be too short but thinking more big BMX / pump track build rather than hardcore hardtail so fingers crossed.

p5pb13745596.jpg

Managed to source some metal oldskool Odyssey Twisted pedals too which I've just recoated, rather than the more modern plastic versions which I'm also quite partial to.

i should look before i leap (or post), shouldn't I?

p5pb13757161.jpg

The impatience is strong with this one! Dude, where's my frame? :LOL:

Re:

Your impatience has given me a great idea for a cyclists equivalent to the stags head mounted on the wall..

Now . . . this is interesting. It's arrived, and yep, you could lose yourself in that blue :cool: but freak knows what size it is :? . Advertised as a 16.5 so I'd guessed at a medium frame measured incorrectly but the seat tube does indeed measure 16.5 centre to top - could it be a large with a cut down seat tube? Neat job anyway including the slot :cool: Top tube measures 22" c to c - far more manageable than the looooong Jack Flash but the head tube is a tall 5" making it more inkeeping with SC large geometry.

Pretty certain it's genuine and dates from 2000-2001 as the SID blue paint is all original but the size remains a mystery. I'm guessing this one is a large (or maybe XL) while this one is stated as medium although that seat tube looks far taller than the 16" which SC state as the ST length for a medium Mk 2 Chameleon. I did wonder if maybe it was one of the Jenson USA rebadged models from the early 2Ks but iirc they were all apple green. Interesting . . .

Anyway, I'm probably over-thinking it as measurement-wise it's perfect for what I want (although that tall head tube means I don't get to use any pimp headset spacers :facepalm: ). Build will have to be put on hold until after the weekend due to the none-too-small matter of my dear old Mum's 90th birthday celebrations but I'm sure I can fit in a little retouching in between cake decorating :LOL: . . . and did I mention that blue :p

p5pb13758762.jpg

Back