Kona pahoehoe 2000 *ride pics added*

dyson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally it has arrived safely although I doubted myhermes would get the job done!

Bit of an ebay impulse bargain buy.

i always wanted a custom polished alloy kona which meant finding something a bit worse for wear to strip and this fits the bill. Also it has a disc mount plus it's a 20" frame. In addition although a big fan of steel frames my cotic soul is just a bit too slow on the climbs for me. My Kilauea is much better but quite keen to have a racy alloy ht.

Not sure what that this means for 97 Kilauea though as no room for three bikes. Maybe I'll swap all the kit off the cotic?

Anyway here it Is
IMAG1172 by Ian Dyson, on Flickr

Re:

Oh yeah, 15cm! I once sold a scandium kona after giving up trying to find a second hand fork with a huuugge enough steerer.

I do have a z1 now which is plenty long.

Re:

Lovely. Been after a muni mula from that year in the bright green they did but they don't come up in 20" very often.

Long steerers on retro bikes is a pain I sympathise with and know well!

Re: Kona pahoehoe 2000

Was quite fortunate to spot it Coomber. I lost the auction by one pound but the winner backed out so got second dibs! Yeah wonder if there was a reason for the length?

My next thing is how to refurb it. Definitely going for a paint strip then satin brushed finish for the ti look. Decal wise maybe 97 jungle graphics in black with white outline, maybe '95 in Orange or same as now but that may be pricey.

Re:

:cool: I loved my 2000 Pahoehoe , I would leave as is with the original decals , they are the best thing about the 2000 range of Kona's as they Glow in the Dark ;) I had Kona Glow grips on mine, looked awesome in the dark :)

Re: Re:

dyson":jyb9l7v9 said:
Gravy monster I have spent ages looking at your old thread for ideas while I waited for mine to arrive. How did it ride? I think I agree about the decals now. Look at the link below as this is how I want the frame to look!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237689

It rode ok, not as nice a steely one ,

Im not keen on polished Kona's the Score is in a class of its own but when I see a polished Kona they are usually the low end Colin Mcrae one's which are an insult to the great man IMO ;) You wouldn't want people thinking its one of those would you :LOL:

Re:

Will be interesting comparing it with the Kilauea after your comment.

The graphics really don't help those McRae Kona's...

See what you mean though.

Re: Kona pahoehoe 2000

IMAG1759_1

Finally got this built up last night. Was a bit of a rush at the bike station as kicking out time so the cables are a bit crap. The silver paint job although pretty rough has grown on me quite quick along with those decals.

All the bits are from my sadly departed Kilauea except the USE sumo post and new front mech.

Had a quick ride to work on it and seems sharp in the turns but not as harsh as previous alloy frames. Could be the seatpost which is rather flexy. Definitely not as super quick as my old Merlin Malt but that may be my legs.

Will ride this for a bit and if I like it then maybe a lighter fork (although I love Bombers) and perhaps a powder coat. Need to sort the mish mash of kit too. Maybe m750 XT and some USE/Thomson.

Back