1999 Kona Stinky Restoration Completed!!!!

konacollector

Dirt Disciple
Around 2001, i used to ride a 1999 kona stinky. It was my first 'proper' mountain bike as up until then i had owned a raleigh and a couple of saracens, no offence to people who own them, but this was in a different league at the time. I spent so much time on that bike as i was too young to drive, i didnt have a job and hadnt started drinking yet! This was the bike with which i learned most if not all the mountain bike skills i still use today.

So as a project ive bought a frame to restore back to its former glory. Its almost identical to the one i owned other than this is an 18" and mine was a 16" but i figured if i get round to riding this an 18" would probably be more user friendly anyway!

Anything ive considered a project in the past ive obsessed over and finished in a few weeks so im determined to make this one last and do it properly.

As you can see its in really bad shape cosmetically. Infact i dont think ive ever seen a frame so chipped! Someone has started to rub it down at some point and given up. I have been over the frame and i cant see any cracks or dents which is good.

The plan is to have it sand blasted and powder coated, have some decals made for it, have the rear shock serviced and shock bushing replaced and replace all the bushing, bearings and bolts on the frame essentially making this look brand new. I always have loved the colour scheme so im sticking with it as is.

Any comments would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Re: 1999 Kona Stinky restoration for the sake of nostalgia!

Very awesome. One the more exciting projects for me to see. Looking forward to see how this turns out. Old Stinkys are really cool fun bikes. Good luck

Re:

This a great restore project. If the pivot points are pre-bearing era you may have to go to BETD /Goldtec outfit to get the proper bushings kit. Expensive but their quality is top notch which include all the bolts, bushings, washers and even a derailleur hanger. Had to get it for my 98 Kona Stab project. Will you go for period forks? If you are patient you may pickup a pair of Marzocchi Z1's or even Junior T's for it from Ebay. Will follow your progress.

http://www.klassickona.com/oldgold/99bi ... einfo.html

I did have a look on the betd website but its says that there sold out of all bearing/ bushing kits for konas. I've been in touch with the technical department at kona and they informed me that they have the bearing kits instock at the European depo so I've order a kit through my local dealer. Watch this space. I'm not sure how much it will cost or what's included in the kit though.

As for forks the frame came with a pair of z1 bams circa. 1999 which are in really good condition considering there age. At the time I had this frame I had a 2001 pair of junior t's on it and they worked well together. There is a pair on eBay at the moment!

Great project. I love these old Stinky's. They were one of the first hard riding bikes that could be ridden up and blasted down the hills.

Z1's would be perfect on the front.

A mate had one of these with the BETD long travel plates that he used as a DH bike. The Monster T's eventually killed it.

Re:

Small update,

Ive stripped the frame down this weekend, removed the headset and bottom bracket, all the old bolts and bearings. it now looks like this:

The bearings where seized solid! i was suprised to see 4 individual bearings in the bottom pivot, i was expecting 2.

Ive been in contact with silk graphics about some replica decals for it and am awaiting a reply.
The bearing kit from Kona is £79 but im still not sure what is included for that price. Im going to drop the swing arm parts into the powder coat shop soon to get them powder coated black.

Re:

ok so ive just picked up the bearing kit from the LBS and it looks like this:

Im pleased with the contence. Basically its every replaceable part on the frame bar new v brake bosses, which i have anyway, and the water bottle cage bolts which will be easy to buy replacements.

Part no. of this kit is CMPOBBK01. That might be of use to someone one day!

Ive not heard anything back from silk graphics, does anyone else have any ideas for custom graphics?

thanks

Try Gil M from here. I've normally found him prett good.

Slik are great for the off the shelf graphics that they do, but not so good at returning around requests for custom stuff.

Back