kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'd been wanting a nice Raleigh for a long time. I had been tempted to pick up a Raleigh Lizard, as that was my first MTB back in 1990, but I'd decided that actually it would make more sense for me to get a better quality Raleigh instead. I was intending on getting a slightly older model than this, but when it came up for sale I instantly realised this was for me - it was the right size for a start!

RSP.JPG

RSP+2.JPG

The information I got from the seller was that this was one of Raleigh's Pro-line frames which they used for the M-Trax 300 and 350 Elite, but this frame had never got built up with final decals, sitting unused until 2012. The previous owner had built it up to use on the road for a few months but decided it was a waste and so sold it to me last year. There's some info on the frames in this catalogue:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... alogue.pdf

In terms of build, given it's a late 90s frame, but hasn't had an original build to live up to I feel quite free to build it up in any way, so the parts will mainly be whatever is practical and affordable. I plan to build it up as a 1x8 to use off-road. I'll add a spec sheet here and update it with parts as I go along. I have a few I have already got for it, but I'll add them in separate posts.

Frame: 22" RSP Pro-line Reynolds 853

Fork: Saso/Meks Carbon

Headset: Stronglight Headlight
Stem: RooX Danny's
Handlebar: Zoom 170
Grips: Herrmans Attaque
Barends:

Brakes: Magura HS10
Brake Pads: Magura
Brake Cables: Magura
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Magura HS10

Shifters: Dura-ace 9 speed thumbshifter
Front Derailleur:
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Zee
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: XT M770 11-34T
Chain: SRAM 970
Cranks: RooX XC
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings: Specialites TA 44T
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: EDCO Competition
Pedals: Shimano XT

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Mavic Crosslink
Hubs: Mavic Crosslink
Nipples: Mavic
Spokes: Mavic
Tyres: Hutchinson Cameleon
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: RSP
Seatpost: Zoom Lightweight Cro-mo 30.0 x 350mm
Seatpost Binder: Stainless steel

Weight: 12.69 kg / 27 lb 15 oz

Look forward to the build. But I don't think it's an M-Trax 300/350 with Reynolds Optima.
The geometry and colour scheme point to it being;

file.php

With superior Reynolds 853 tubing!

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I think I'd seen that scan somewhere, but couldn't find it when I had a quick look.

As far as wheels go, I picked up these awhile ago without any particular plan for them, just because I got them for next to nothing:

_zLccZUuqSz5XcDjZCm9rKydqfJncuxTvA4NXCFNKUo=w958-h719

They're in very good condition apart from some flaking of the paint on the hubs. I'm undecided as to whether to try to touch the paint up or just live with it.

kingoffootball":5m3260ht said:
Ahhh, that makes more sense. I think I'd seen that scan somewhere, but couldn't find it when I had a quick look.

As far as wheels go, I picked up these awhile ago without any particular plan for them, just because I got them for next to nothing:

_zLccZUuqSz5XcDjZCm9rKydqfJncuxTvA4NXCFNKUo=w958-h719

They're in very good condition apart from some flaking of the paint on the hubs. I'm undecided as to whether to try to touch the paint up or just live with it.

They'll go well with this frame I think! Nice!

The 450 frame I have takes an E-type mech but can't see the required bolt hole on the seat tube on this frame??

Given the frame has quite a long head tube, I had to find some forks with a long uncut steerer. After a fair amount of searching, I managed to acquire a set made by Saso/Meks that I intend to use and see how I get on with front suspension:

Saso-Meks+forks+%25281%2529.JPG

Obviously the set on the left, I picked up the second set for next to no extra cost, though I made need to part with them to fund further components for this build.

I have an RSP 450 as well! Picked up for 80 quid off Ebay.. ;)
Can you check the BB shell on yours for the serial number? I think it's as above, the 1999 RSP 450 frame - however there are some serial numbers which are on those frames which were built up and sold as full bikes (as per the catalogue) and others which were specced to the customer and made-to-spec.
As yours doesn't have the e-type mech mount, and seems was never built up as a bike, it's possible it was a made to order frame, with some differences from catalogue spec..

Mine's here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=260708

Back